IoT SIM Management on SAP Hana – Operationalizing IoT Connectivity
Over the past few years you may have noticed that technology continues to drive a series of revolutions that are changing the way we understand and interact with the world around us. The nature of these revolutions have evolved from advancements in technology as described in Moores Law to the capabilities afforded to us by these technological advancements.
One prime example is the “Big Data” revolution. This revolution, facilitated by reduced costs of processing power and storage, enabled a world where we can store and quickly analyze massive amounts of data.
In the same manner, lower cost connectivity is facilitating the Internet of Things (IoT) revolution. We see the number of connected things growing at an exponential rate and this is affording business an unprecedented opportunity to gain insights on a granular dataset of geographically dispersed assets using big data analysis. This insight enabled a massive innovation in business processes and we see the digital enterprise realizing this potential and starting to embrace IoT at a rapid pace.
Analysts envision that SIM based connectivity will be one of the principle drivers of the IoT Revolution with SIM based IoT Verticals including Energy, Utilities, Healthcare and Transportation. SIM refers to Subscriber Identity Module and this is the little chip provided by the mobile operator that you place in your connected device to allow access to the operators network.
SIM Market Size
- 54% YoY growth to 2.2 Billion devices by 2020
- Total IoT market size in 2020 forecasted to be $1.7 Trillion.
It is easy to foresee a situation where the digital enterprise business process becomes highly dependent on connectivity to their assets, and as a result it becomes much more important to manage the operational aspects of this connectivity. First and foremost this means ensuring connectivity is available. Secondly since the connectivity is not free the cost has to be effectively managed and optimized. These are the basics, but for any large scale deployment enterprises will also need to consider the following challenges:
- Complicated process to acquire and manage regional or global wireless services.
- Lifecycle management capabilities and IoT Applications often run on different platforms.
- Difficulty to visualize and optimize SIM based IoT device lifecycle management across multiple operators.
- Uncertainty about interoperability with SAP IoT solutions.
IoT SIM Management on SAP Hana delivers a solution that can integrate to multiple connectivity providers to deliver a single and consistent view of the status of those devices and the costs they are incurring. The key value drivers of the solution include:
- View and manage SIM based IoT devices alongside all your IoT operations from a unified IoT Services cockpit
- Correlate SIM data with machine, location and other data to provide context for SIM identifiers.
Analyze and Act
- Analyze SIM activity to drive cost optimization, customized alerts or to trigger automated action
- Integrate SIM related data into existing systems and applications
- Support global IoT deployments powered by SAP IoT solutions and best in region mobile operators
- Simplify multi carrier SIM sourcing to protect against vendor lock in.
With IoT SIM Management on SAP Hana global IoT deployments become easily manageable, providing customers with a choice of several certified operators. It differentiates SAP’s IoT solution offering by combining SIM lifecycle management capabilities and IoT Applications. To learn more about how IoT SIM Management on SAP Hana can help with your IoT enablement talk with your SAP representative, and check out the SAP Solutions for the Internet of Things blog for more details coming soon.