With the UWL optimal inbox management is centered around a number of core parameters. In this blog posting we are going to discuss the various parameters at play in association to the Universal Worklist and how they can be distinguished from one another with each offering its own unique means of contribution.
Page Refresh Rate VS Real Time Refresh (RTR)
So what is the difference between the page Page Refresh Rate and the Real Time Refresh (RTR) ?
If you want the UWL Inbox to refresh upon logging in and navigating you can utilize the “Page Refresh Rate”. Alternatively the page refresh rate can be configured directly in the xml file for all users. This parameter is displayed as “refresh” = 300 by default. The value is in seconds. The smallest that this value can be set is 1 minute.
Can the UWL Refresh automatically?
In terms of “Automatic Refreshing” with the UWL this functionality is provided via the functional “Real Time Refresh (RTR)” mechanism. Now the use of Real-Time-Refresh. RTR (Real-Time-Refresh) feature is ONLY for when a task is “Completed” and the use the Real-Time-Refresh feature came in for Product Versions of 702 SP2 720/SP2 and higher.
So let us remember that the RealTimeRefresh (RTR) mechanism of UWL enables automatic update of the UWL task and alerts list. Thus, when items are set to status “Complete” they are removed from the New and In Progress view in the UWL You can configure UWL to refresh its tasks and alerts list at time period different that the minimum 20 second period.
Choosing RealTimeRefresh (RTR) – Outcome
- The user does not need to use the refresh function to update the inbox.
My Inbox is not updating automatically?
In previous cases where I have come across the Real-Time-Refresh feature not working accordingly for completed workitems our main points of interest included:
- Backend user is mapped to multiple portal users:
- Go to User List -> Identity Management 2) Make sure your R3 backend user has been mapped to only to one portal
- Completed items monitoring function module cannot be executed:
- Check if RFC destination exists as described in SAP Note 1133821 2) Apply SAP Note 1133821 if necessary. 3) Check if SUWL_NOTIF_START_WORKITEMS_MON function module is available configured R/3 backend.
- Item registration function module cannot be executed:
- Check if RFC destination exists as described in SAP Note 1133821. Check if SUWL_NOTIF_SET_NOTIF_CONFIG function module is available in configured R/3 backend. Apply SAP Note 1133821 if necessary.
- Item un-registration function module cannot be executed:
- Check if RFC destination exists as described in SAP Note 1133821. Apply SAP Note 1133821 if necessary. Check if SUWL_NOTIF_DEL_NOTIF_CONFIG function module is available in configured R3 backend.
Prerequisites for Refreshing
In order for the real time refresh to be enabled you have to meet the following prerequisites:
- You have configured an RFC destination with load balancing for connection with the back-end system.
- The back-end system has the SAP_ABA and SAP_BASIS components.
- The user in the back-end system, configured in the RFC destination, must have the S_RFC_ADM ACTVT=1 permission.