Split architecture allows customers to upgrade to NetWeaver 7.5
Many customers are migrating from dual stack SAP process integration (PI) to SAP Process Orchestration (PO) systems as SAP road maps indicates that it will stop supporting SAP dual stack systems soon. In this blog I will provide the information on how customers can leverage dual stack split of the system so that they don’t have to invest time and money in converting complex ccBPM to NetWeaver BPM as there is no direct migration path available. To upgrade from dual stack to single depends on many factors as described below.
Case 1: Migration to PO 7.5 single stack
- Low complexity landscape with no complex scenarios
- No BPM scenarios
- Usage Classical scenario
- No legacy system interfacing using BPM
- No Java mapping
- No XSLT mapping
- No ABAP mapping
- NO local tables maintained in PI ABAP stack
Case2: Upgrade to 7.5 with split architecture to run dual stack environment
- Complex landscape connecting many legacy system
- Complex BPM connecting the 3rd party system
- High usage of Java mapping
- High usage of ABAP mapping
- High usage of XSLT mapping
- High usage of BPM in the landscape
- Usage of Integrated Configuration Objects (ICO)
In case1 there are no issues as it would be a straight forward migration from dual to single stack which can be accomplished using SAP migration tool as shown below.
In case2 there is more complexity involved due to multiple integration touch point. In this case we can still perform the migration of dual to single stack but it would be expensive and not straight forward which will raise many questions with respective to TCO and ROI from stake holders. In this situation SAP has provide some relief to customers running on dual stack and allow them to upgrade to NW 7.5 and still use dual stack architecture.
Dual-stack SAP PI systems with a release ≤ 7.4 remain supported as dual-stack systems – new installation, update and upgrade to these releases still supported.
Installation of SAP PI 7.5 and higher: For SAP systems based on SAP NetWeaver 7.5 and higher, dual stack no longer supported, without exception As a consequence, no dual-stack installation is offered as of SAP PI 7.5 – instead, standard installation consists of a separate ABAP + a separate Java stack.
- You install application Server ABAP for SAP Process Integration there, also Java users for AS Java for SAP Process Integration system are created and system is prepared to get connected to AS Java.
- You install application Server Java for SAP Process Integration AS Java for SAP PI system uses User Management Engine (UME) of AS ABAP for SAP PI system that you must have installed before.
Upgrade to SAP PI 7.5 SP1 and higher: After upgrading to SAP PI 7.5, you first have to split still existing dual-stack SAP PI systems before their usage is supported – for this, dual-stack split procedure now also offered for SAP PI 7.5 for more information please refer below link http://sapassets.edgesuite.net/sapcom/docs/2015/07/96224dc2-5b7c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.pdf
Hope this helps!