Data Transfer Workbench
The DTW supports the automatic transfer of data into the system, designed specifically for the initial transfers. The Functions of the DTW compile of:
- Administration & Organisation of Data Transfer Projects.
- Tools for analysing required SAP structures.
- Integration of standard data transfer programs.
- Registration & Integration of your own data transfer/help programs.
- Various techniques for loading data.
- BAPI Interface/
- Batch Input
- Data Input (DINP)
- Data conversion using the Legacy System Migration Workbench (LSMW).
Essentially, this is the ‘pipeline’ for the system – the route between the data and the database systems.
A data source for the Data Transfer Workbench will be, most commonly, a Microsoft Excel Document containing two rows at the top of the sheet, a Source row and a Target Row, with data beneath. To save this as a relevant document, when saving you must change the file type to .CSV (Comma Delimited) in order to use that file to import via the Data Transfer Workbench.
Importing to SAP
1. Open the “Data Transfer Workbench” and log into the Company you are aiming to import data into.
2. Select “Import” once connected and choose the data type in relation to the information you’re attempting to import via the DTW, selecting “Next” upon completion.
3. Specify the type of Operation and select “Next”, choosing the Business Object you want to import and proceeding.
4. Choose the Data Source, this must be a CSV (Comma Delimited) file and continue. On the “Map Object Fields” page, ensure the information provided, including mapping rules, source data and target data, is all correct.
5. Follow the process until the end and click “Import” for the process to commence. Upon completion, you’ll be notified of any errors or if the data was successfully transferred.
6. Open SAP Business One and locate the data once successfully