Capturing a Workload in SAP ASE 15.7 SP137
SAP ASE 15.7 SP137 introduces the ability to capture a workload so that it can be analyzed and replayed using version 16.0 SP02 or later SAP ASE Cockpit.
Capturing a workload is nondisruptive and allows you to analyze and realistically replay your production application when it is executed against an SAP ASE server version 16.0 SP02 or later server. This allows you to analyze performance differences or changes in behavior due to configuration, software version, environmental factors, or changes to the application database design.
First, capture your workload:
- Enable the enable workload analyzer configuration option by setting it to 1 during installation.
- From the SAP ASE 15.7 server, use dbcc workload_capture to start and stop the capture:
- dbcc workload_capture(start)
- dbcc workload_capture(stop)
- This process creates PCAP files that contain your workload.
Next, import your workload into SAP ASE Cockpit 16.0 SP02 or later:
- From SAP ASE Cockpit, go to Explore > ASE Servers > Workload Analyzer > Captures:
- In the left pane, select the arrow to the right of Captures, or click the Actions button.
- Select New to start the Import Wizard:
- Click Next to choose a workload name and add any additional comments:
- By default, the wizard assigns the capture a name using the format of <servername_date_time>.
- Click Next to browse for your PCAP files:
- Click OK to select the folder containing your PCAP files.
- Click Next to view your summary:
- Click Finish to create the workload.
SAP ASE 15.7 SP137 brings you a new dimension of optimization. Along with evaluating the performance impact of migrating to 16.0 or later, these improvements to the workload analyzer give you greater control over query analysis and producing realistic testing environments.