Hello IoT community,
Are you an IT decision maker, an enterprise architect or the holder of a technology-driven role in your company, with your focus on preparing IT decisions? If the answer to this question is “yes”, I assume you will be interested in technical facts and architectures that underpin various IT focus areas, such as the Internet of Things (IoT), User Experience (UX) or Landscape Architecture.
SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer is an information platform that focuses on specific IT areas that are of the greatest interest. Its intention is to provide the people and roles mentioned above with the help they need. SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer is the next evolutionary step of SAP UX Explorer, with thousands of users every week. Since the inception of the new platform at the beginning of this year, we are now expanding our scope into other areas, rather than focusing solely on UX.
If you are interested in what the Explorer is and how you can use it, I highly recommend this short introductory video:
In this blog, I would like to inform to you that IoT was added to the Explorer in March this year. I’m sure that many of you will enjoy this content and find it beneficial for your work, especially if you need to drive technical decisions, model your own enterprise architecture or build your own technical strategies.
What’s in it for you?
As mentioned earlier, we started adding IoT content in March this year. As with the previous focus on UX, we are keen to provide answers both above and below sea level, as illustrated in the graphic below.
You will notice no doubt that certain products, concepts, terms and so on are missing. The reason for this is that we growing naturally, moving from the IT focus area such as IoT and expanding from there with topics related to those we already have in our database. Unlike other SAP information platforms, this means that you will not find the entire SAP portfolio.
We already have almost 30 IoT-related topics for you to explore. Why not start by taking a look at Internet of Things, the IoT-products that are currently in the SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer or the IoT-terms and concepts we have started to describe?
Here is a list of all IoT-related topics we have added to our database to date:
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- IoT concepts and terms
- IoT-relevant products and services
- IoT-relevant assisting services
- SAP Predictive Maintenance and Service On Premise Edition (SAP PdMS OPE)
- Predictive Maintenance and Service Cloud Edition (SAP PdMS CE)
- SAP Asset Intelligence Network
- SAP Work Manager
- SAP Multiresource Scheduling
- SAP HANA Vora
- SAP HANA Cloud Integration
- SAP HANA Cloud Platform, Internet of Things service
- SAP HANA Cloud Connector
- SAP HANA Platform
- SAP SQL Anywhere
- SAP HANA Extended Application Services (SAP HANA XS)
- SAP HANA XS Advanced (XSA)
- SAP IQ
- Apache Hadoop
- Apache Spark
- Telit DeviceWISE
- lambda Architecture
- Machine-to-machine communication (M2M)
- Embedded Systems
- Smart Grid
- Smart Cities
- Micro-Electromechanical Systems (MEMS)
In addition to these topics, we have also already started with IoT-related whiteboard videos as part of our “short videos series“.
What is SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer in more detail?
At this point I don’t want to overload you with all the details. So let me just summarizes the main features of the Explorer and point you to more details in case you are interested.
- SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer describes topics such as concepts, terms, technologies and products, and relates them to specific IT focus areas
- The Explorer currently holds more than 350 topics. These are stored in a semantic network, where relations between these topics can be made visible and facilitate navigation through the content
- The Explorer provides multiple starting points for your exploration in this network of topics. Besides the search functionality, which you can find on every page of the Explorer, further examples of starting points are Get inspired(by the short videos series), Get Answers or Browse topics
- SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer provides capabilities to compare up to three topics (Example comparison)
- You can also browse a topic that explains more about the Explorer itself
What is planned?
Besides the fact that we are planning to add “Integration” as another IT focus area this year, we will of course continuing adding IoT-relevant topics and whiteboard videos. Our current pipeline for the coming weeks includes:
- SAP Plant Connectivity (PCo) (Update: Is available now)
- SAP Transportation Resource Planning (SAP TRP) (Update: Is available now)
- SAP Vehicle Insights (Update: Is available now)
- SAP Connected Manufacturing
- Internet of Things (IoT) Consulting Services (Update: Is available now)
- Apache Cassandra
- Apache Kafka
- SAP API Management (on-premise edition)
- SAP API Hub
If you want to be kept up to date on changes in our content, or on new tool features, you can follow me on Twitter and subscribe to my blog “Latest News on SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer”
And if you haven’t done so already, please provide us with your valuable feedback by participating in our SAP Enterprise Architecture Explorer survey.