Simplification Item: PLM – Easy Document Management
With the TOP Simplification List Items approach we want to start a S/4HANA SCN Blog series to provide more information about dedicated simplification items. Simplification items where we assume that any customer project has to deal with. The following S/4HANA SCN Blog is collecting these TOP Simplification Items with the links to the dedicated S/4HANA blogs.
Within this blog we want to provide additional information regarding the Simplification Item:
PLM – Easy Document Management
- With SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 the Easy DMS Functionality within SAP Product Lifecycle Management (SAP PLM) will no longer be available. As an alternative, customers using Easy DMS may consider the PLM DMS integration into SAP Mobile Documents. Mobile documents also offers a cloud platform for the storage of documents.
- Business processes can be achieved by using DMS and Mobile Document integration.
- Existing customers migrating to S/4 HANA needs user training to adapt to Mobile Documents solution.
- Customers will no longer have windows based solution for accessing Document Management System. Being a desktop application hereafter no support could be provided for SAP Easy DMS on each Windows upgrade.
- Easy DMS is only a light version of the SAP DMS functionalities in the R/3 system which is a kind of Add-On to the Microsoft explorer and uses a RFC connection to the backend for processing documents with restricted capabilities. Therefore there is no XPRA modules required for conversions.
- Obsolete Transaction Codes (not available in SAP S/4HANA): EASYDMS_CUS. Easy DMS specific transactions needs to be disabled.
- Easy DMS application should indicate an error when a user tries to access S/4 HANA system through Easy DMS client application.
- Custom plugin developed (in VC++) for Easy DMS solution has no impact as the application usage is stopped at log-in level.
Required and Recommended Action(s)
- Switch to DMS and Mobile Doc integration they offer a rich functional scope.
For more details see the PPT attached to the following SAP Note: