SAP SuccessFactors Q2 2016 Release – Presentations
One of the ‘high seasons‘ for managers to work closely with HR takes place when performance and potential assessments are due. Despite the fact that today’s processes are being set up in a more continuous and ongoing way instead of once a year (be sure to check out continuous performance management), for many good reasons there are still formal processes like calibration and talent reviews linked to succession and talent identification, that in most cases demand the managers to give their input. For example, it’s a manager’s responsibility to represent their employees during calibration sessions, and sometimes for executive managers to represent their organization during talent review meetings.
The good news is that the value of such calibration sessions and talent review meetings are no longer questioned. Today, an average of 10% of performance ratings are changed during calibration sessions, resulting in more objectivity and transparency. Compared to calibration sessions, talent reviews provide an opportunity to discuss employees at a greater level of depth and focus. Talent review meetings not only lead to the positive effect of top level executives being highly involved in talent processes, but also that talent information and pools are shared across boundaries.
But what about the high amount of effort it takes for managers and HR to have the necessary data available, consolidated, and up-to-date when needed for these talent review meetings? Consider this:
- HR leaders and staff spend weeks, or even months, preparing and assembling talent review presentations for executive teams.
- Data is often saved in different sources or is not up-to-date which makes it even more difficult for HR to get a consolidated view. Copying and pasting content, building custom reports, manual effort, and reams of paper are used to produce binders of printed talent cards which are unwieldy and not portable.
- Managers and employees are not motivated to keep the data like mobility or career aspirations up-to-date if the tools are not engaging.
- Presentations and binders often have outdated static data, raising questions about accuracy. And let’s not forget that static data and an out of date presentation format lead to a poor audience experience during those key calibration and talent review sessions.
This is where the SAP SuccessFactors Presentations feature comes into play to significantly help companies decrease the effort it takes to support and run such sessions in the most convenient way.
The SAP SuccessFactors Presentations feature enables HR teams to prepare for these talent review sessions in record time, blending PowerPoint files with live data and insights from SAP SuccessFactors. HR professionals can use the Presentations feature to import their own PowerPoint slides into SAP SuccessFactors, then embed employee and team data right into the slides. They can then click on “hot spots” to call up that information during the presentation. Users can also add new content slides from within SAP SuccessFactors, update certain data live while giving presentations, and share presentations with other employees. The solution is tightly integrated with our HCM suite to get valuable and deeper insight when needed (e.g. people profile, talent score card, talent pools or other succession data, compensation data, etc.).
Some of the advantages of using the SAP SuccessFactors Presentation feature are:
- Helps ensure more insightful meetings with less effort – saving HR both time and money. It provides beautiful and engaging presentations, rapid insight through multiple layers of data, and is remarkably easy to use.
- Represents a new way to provide workforce presentations that have impact. Instead of static presentations or reports, HR can now provide workforce presentations that are more clear, accurate, engaging, and insightful.
- Supports the dynamic nature of talent conversations with accurate, relevant, and interactive workforce data.
- Provides a more intuitive user experience.
- Improves audience experience and increases engagement.
- Enables HR to move from a tactical role of assembling content to a more strategic role of delivering workforce insights.
With the current Q2 2016 release, new features enhance the way the presentation files can be organized and prepared for such events with a new folder structure to store, categorize, and search for presentation slides. The entry page has also been optimized and aligned with SAP’s overall Fiori concept of launch pads in order to make it more consistent with the rest of the SAP SuccessFactors applications and easier for users to work with the solution. This is especially important for occasional users like managers.
Additionally we have leveraged the existing solution, which in the past was mainly used by HR, to also be used for purposes like allowing managers to get consolidated and up-to-date talent data. One good reason for managers to use the Presentations functionality is so that they can effectively prepare for calibration sessions by consolidating team information that is spread across different parts of the suite.
In the latest release, a new feature was added that notifies managers when a Calibration session has been enabled. This feature, called the Calibration Summary Intelligent Services notification, is triggered by an Intelligent Services event when a Calibration session is enabled and displays on the Homepage (v3). This notification includes information such as:
- Calibration session info (session name, template name, status, # of subjects, # of participants, facilitators, my role, session date).
- My Team information and relevant performance forms.
- Rating distribution of direct reports.
- Performance history of direct reports.
In addition to the Calibration Summary Intelligent Services notification, a new Performance History slide was added to the Presentations feature. With this, a new Performance History slide can be added to the Presentations slide deck and will include the following:
- The live slide displays performance ratings for a selected team.
- Users can select individual users, a team, or a dynamic group, process, and date range and create a live slide of performance history.
In summary, the Presentations solution can greatly reduce the amount of effort required to pull together the necessary information spread across different sources, consolidate it, keep it up-to-date, and make it available in an easy to consume way for HR, managers, and executives. It provides one place for HR and individuals participating in the Talent Review meetings to view information and make critical, informed decisions easily.