EP: The Portal & The Fiori Framework Page – Part 3
In parts one and two of this blog series we touched base on Fiori and it’s relationship with the Enterprise Portal. We covered some of the fundamentals around Fiori’s development and utilization and how this translates into effective user experiences within the Portal through the SAP Fiori Launchpad on Portal.
Missed Part 1 & 2?
If you missed Part’s One and Two you can revisit them here:
If you are familiar with the Enterprise Portal (EP) and Netweaver (NW) environments you would have by now become familiar with the various framework pages terminology that exists e.g. Standard, Default, Custom, Classic, Ajax and now Fiori.
So what is a Framework Page?
- As we know the Portal in itself is comprised of various display elements and objects which are interacted with by end-users. Such objects are presented to users in the form of roles, navigation end points, displays and backdrop rendering. End Users (through assigned roles) interact with the Portal itself through the Portal Desktop and the Pages & iViews holstering a synergy with end users is provided by the Framework page.
What does a Framework Page contain?
● Header area
● navigation areas (TLN, Navigation Panel, DTN, Masthead)
● Portal content area (center of the Portal through which applications are rendered)
Fiori Framework Page
When using the SAP Fiori Launchpad on Portal the substructure through which the launchpad is presented to end-users is that of the Fiori Framework Page. Upon configuring the Fiori Framework Page to your own business requirements and preferences the default theme utilized in its presentation to end users if that of SAP Blue Crystal but this can be customized also if required through the UI Theme Designer.
- In relation to FIORI-applications Blue Crystal is the recommended theme to be utilized and as we mentioned it is the default theme setting for Fiori
- For UI5 applications Gold Reflection is really recommended.
Fiori Framework – Page Configuration
Location – Fiori Framework Page
- Login to the Enterprise Portal
- Navigate to Portal Content > Portal Users > Standard Portal Users.
- Then select Fiori Framework Content > Fiori Framework Page.
Browser Modes & Fiori Framework Page
As we know with different versions of Web Browser Platforms come several sets of parameters and configurations which need to be maintained in order to support optimal performance. In terms of performance here I am making reference to the means in which users interact with the Portal interface and the method of which these contents are displayed i.e. rendered.
- The Fiori Framework Page will NOT work in Quirks Mode (Internet Explorer (IE))
- If you attempt to force the browser (IE) to run in Quirks Mode it will not work and function properly as the framework itself is based on UI5 components which work only in standards mode.
The Fiori Framework Page is intended for standards mode only and since there is no way to mix different rendering(“document“) modes in same page – all iViews that are rendered “in place” will render in standards mode environment and should comply to it (for example by “sap-ie=Edge” parameter).
- If your business requirements mean certain pages cannot be rendered in standards, then they should be opened in a new window with NAV Mode 3.
Know Issues, Further Troubleshooting & Resolutions
Just few questions:
All my customers want personalize the portal as much as they can so
How can i change the ffp masthead?
Can i download the ffp code in order to change it?
Many thanks for the positive feedback 🙂 and taking the time to reference the article it is greatly appreciated.
In relation to your query on "changing the FFP Masthead" the baseline concept on customization and tailoring is the same as other framework pages:
However the FFP itself as a new development does have some differences as the elements and containers (in terms of display) are based upon one component.
While performing such customization you should ensure the common best practices are followed to avoid rendering issues.
If further Launchpad extension is required I would recommend using the guidance material below as a reference point:
Kindly let me know how you get on and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me or post a thread & tag me.
Kind Regards & All The Best
Troy Cronin - Enterprise Portal Support Engineer
Thank you for such an informative series on FLP on EP. Would you please help in understanding couple of questions, Can Fiori Framework be a good fit in Enterprise Portal if there is no Fiori app integration is needed? Can it be used just to give standard Portal App Integrator's like WebDynpro, Transaction, GUI for HTML a Fiori like experience?
Firstly absolutely my pleasure and thank you very much for your feedback and reading 🙂
In relation to your query surrounding the FFP and its utilization within the Portal (FLP@EP) this indeed is the latest technology setup which is both recommended and readily available.
In fact from our perspective we are encouraging the upgrade (if one is planned on the customer side) to EP 7.5, which has the longest maintenance period, and moreover, you have many new features including the Fiori Framework Page and other features that are only available in the latest versions.
To answer your query utilizing the Fiori Framework Page within the Portal will deliver the Fiori Launchpad experience (+ integrated content) for the Portal.
In truth without the utilization of Fiori Apps the full functionality potential will not be realized (but the new "fresh" display will indeed be a welcome change).
Please let me know if you have anymore questions.
Enterprise Portal Support Engineer
This is a scenario of FLP integrated on SAP Portal.
I am facing an issue in display of SAP Fiori Launchpad contents when being launched from portal Role (web-dispatcher portal url). I am getting the content as in below screen-shot. Please note that the same content is being launched properly when using direct web-dispatcher fiori launchpad url.
My EP version is NW7.4SP09 & FLP is NW7.4SP13
Please help in resolving the same, if anyone has faced similar issue earlier.
* Web-dispatcher is configured for integration scenario and we are able to access portal using same.
link to discussion: https://answers.sap.com/questions/228636/flp-content-not-displaying-properly-when-being-lau.html