Withdrawal of Support for Scanner Devices
SAP Business ByDesign will be withdrawing support for scanner devices starting from May 2016. Below is the guideline for the usage of scanner devices for SAP Business ByDesign.
- With the May 2016 release, the support for rugged devices is deprecated. This means that SAP will not offer further enhancements for this functionality.
- With the May 2016 release, only minimum support will be offered for existing customers using this functionality. No support will be available for new customers.
- With the August 2016 release, Windows Mobile: Mob Warehouses software installation package available in the download center in service marketplace will be withdrawn.
If you want to continue to use this functionality, please contact your implementation partner. For more information, see case document 2209472- Scanner Strategy in Business ByDesign.
What are the alternative solutions for mobile handhelds?
Apologies for the delay in response.
The alternative solution is detailed out in the case doucment 2209472.
Will the the existing scoping Business Topics also be deleted as a consequence?
If not, what is SAP's ByD strategy then for using mobile devices/ Scanner in logistics processes?
BTW: The link "Scanner Strategy in Business ByDesign" in your post does not work.
Aplologies for the delay in response.
Due to some techincal reasons, the links couldnt be accessed.
May I request you to go through the case doucment 2209472 for details on the support for scanner strategy.
The business scoping will be available till 1608. We are considering phasing it out during 1611.
Link does not work. Kindly provide with fresher link, thanks.
I believe the below is the strategy I found in BYD:
This document elaborates SAP strategy which is in place to provide you with a more holistic usage and flexibility for Scanners/Rugged Devices.
In order to provide you with a more holistic usage and flexibility for scanners/rugged devices, aPartner based strategy strictly recommended by SAP. There are various out-of-the-box web-services already provided which could be used by your implementation partners to provide mobile or scanner interfaces as per your business needs. These web-services can be accessed by following tbe below mentioned steps.
Below are the names of a few webservices which could be used for your enhancements.
Please note that the scanner functionality in Business ByDesign currently offers a limited enablement scope, mentioned as follows:
Since webservice enablement is readily available, further enhancements of functional and performance topics can only be performed with the help of your partners. SAP will continue to maintain the current available scope and resolve any bugs that are detected.
I further asked SAP to elaborate and below is my understanding:
Here is the background for the announcement
Hope this helps.
Does anyone know who the two partners are? This announcement creates a significant gap for several of our clients
just would like to try to bring a little bit more light in this topic:
- It looks like the suggesting is that SAP will shutdown this service. This is not the case for existing customers. It just says,there won't be support for 'new' customers and the existing scanner support won't be developed further.
- There is already an alternative solution in place developed by Reply. Reply is in the final testing phase and allows existing and new customers to join this pre-testing phase. If you have a concrete customer interested to participate, please let me know.
Hope this helps
Hope you are doing well.
Being SAP ByD user, I would like to ask for your update with current status of this functionality. Is bar code scanning still available in ByD meaning PGI/PGR, Inventory (Cycle) Counting, Fixed-Bin Strategy etc? If yes, please, provide with some process documentation, if possible.
as we tried to establish an alternative offering via partner, I'm happy to make you aware of that this offering is now officially available. Regarding your question about concrete process, functional support, please get in contact with Detlef Aden from All4Cloud or register to their upcoming presentation/webinar about the solution. Here are the respective links:
scan4cloud - webinar in english:
Although I understand the strategy from SAP, it is a great loss of value. Now it is an additional cost which prospects don't always agree with. It is even becoming an argument why prospects are not choosing for BYD but other systems (or even S4H).