SAP HANA SPS 12 What’s New: Backup and Recovery – by the SAP HANA Academy
In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 12.
The topic of this blog is backup and recovery.
For the complete list of blogs see: What’s New with SAP HANA SPS 12 – by the SAP HANA Academy
For the SPS 11 version, see SAP HANA SPS 11 What’s New: Backup and Recovery – by the SAP HANA Academy
Schedule Data Backups (SAP HANA Cockpit)
You can now schedule complete data backups or delta backups to run at specific intervals using the Backup tile of the SAP HANA cockpit. Backup scheduling relies on the XS Job Scheduler and requires the SAP HANA database to be up and running.
For each schedule, you define backup and destination type, prefix and destination.
The schedule requires a name, start time, and recurrence: daily, weekly, monthly with time.
Schedules listing with PAUSE || button. Once created, schedules cannot be modified (only deleted).
Estimated Backup Size (SAP HANA Cockpit)
When you create a backup, SAP HANA Cockpit now also displays the estimated backup size. This feature was earlier available in SAP HANA studio.
By toggling between the backup types, you can easily compare the estimated backup sizes of complete, incremental and differential backups.
You can view the backup prefix in the Backup Overview page.
Resuming an Interrupted Recovery
As of SPS 12, it is possible to resume an interrupted recovery, instead of repeating the entire recovery from the beginning. For this you need to have both a full backup with – optionally delta backups and – log backups.
During a recovery, SAP HANA automatically defines fallback points, which mark the point after which it is possible to resume a recovery. The fallback points are recorded in backup.log, which indicate whether it is possible to resume a recovery.
The Log Replay Interval is configurable [global.ini: log_recovery_resume_point_interval = [18000 – 0; default = 1800s].
Note that it is normally only necessary to resume a recovery in exceptional circumstances.
As of SPS 12, it is now possible to
- recover an SAP HANA database using a combination of a storage snapshot and delta backups (incremental and differential backups)
- reconstruct the SAP HANA backup catalog using file-based delta data backups
- identify a specific data backup by specifying backup destination, prefix, and SID (when using BACKINT in case that the backup catalog is not available)
For more information see:
SAP Help Portal
- SAP HANA Database Backup and Recovery (New and Changed) – What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Libr…
- Schedule Data Backups (SAP HANA Cockpit) – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Scheduling XS Jobs – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Resuming an Interrupted Recovery – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Recovering an SAP HANA Database – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- 1642148 – FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery
- 2039883 – FAQ: SAP HANA database and storage snapshots
- 2165547 – FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery in an SAP HANA System Replication Landscape
- 2091951 – Best Practice: SAP HANA Database Backup & Restore
- 1730932 – Using backup tools with Backint for HANA
- 2031547 – Overview of SAP-certified 3rd party backup tools and associated support process
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA.
Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy.
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy.