Configuring Dynamic Tiering on Multitenant Databases
As of SP 10, dynamic tiering supports running in an SAP HANA multitenant database container installation. You can have some or all of the tenant databases running dynamic tiering. Make sure each tenant using dynamic tiering has its own dedicated worker host. Unlike a single container system, you don’t need a dedicated standby host for each dynamic tiering host. You add a pool of dedicated standby hosts to the HANA system, and in the event of a worker host failure, HANA chooses one of the available standby hosts and automatically makes it the new worker host. You only need one license for all tenant databases running dynamic tiering.
Each tenant requires a dedicated dynamic tiering host. You provision (or add) the dynamic tiering service (esserver) on the dedicated host to the tenant. You can’t provision the same service to multiple tenants. Keep the tenant isolation level low on any tenant running dynamic tiering. Provisioning fails if the isolation level is high. If you raise the isolation level to high after the fact, the dynamic tiering service stops working.
You can convert an existing single container SAP HANA system running dynamic tiering to a multitenant database system. After conversion, the original database becomes the first tenant, with the esserver service from the original database automatically provisioned to the tenant.
Whether adding dynamic tiering to a newly created multitenant database system or creating a new tenant on an existing system to run dynamic tiering, the steps you take are the same:
- Make sure that the SAP HANA system is running without error, and that SAP HANA Cockpit can manage each tenant database. If the HANA system isn’t running correctly, provisioning dynamic tiering might fail.
- If you haven’t already, install dynamic tiering on the SAP HANA system.
- Add the dedicated dynamic tiering host to the system database, not to the tenant.
- Provision the dynamic tiering service (esserver) to a tenant database.
- Import the SAP HANA dynamic tiering delivery units to the tenant. Without these delivery units, you will be unable to manage dynamic tiering on the tenant using SAP HANA Cockpit.
- Create extended storage on the tenant database.
Repeat steps 3 through 6 on each tenant to run dynamic tiering.
See the SAP HANA Administration Guide for details on creating a multitenant system. See the SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering Administration Guide for details on configuring dynamic tiering to run on a tenant database.
View these four videos on the SAP HANA Academy YouTube channel: