In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 12.
For the complete list of blogs see: What’s New with SAP HANA SPS 12 – by the SAP HANA Academy
The topic of this blog is SAP HANA Platform Lifecycle Management new features.
For the related installation and update topics, see SAP HANA SPS 12 What’s New: Installation and Update – by the SAP HANA Academy
Converting an SAP HANA System to Support Multitenant Database Containers
SAP HANA SPS 9 introduced the multitenant database container concept, where a single SAP HANA system contains one or more SAP HANA tenant databases. This allows for an efficient usage of shared resources, both hardware and database management.
At install time, you select the SAP HANA database mode: single container or multiple containers. Should you want to change the mode after the installation you have to perform a conversion. In earlier revisions, this task was performed on the command line with the tool hdbnsutil, as you can view in the following tutorial video:
As of SPS 12, an SAP HANA system can now be converted to support multitenant database containers using the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) resident program. With every installation of SAP HANA, hdblcm is included and enables you to perform common post-installation and configuration tasks. The tool is hosted by the SAP host agent and not, like the SAP HANA cockpit, by the SAP HANA database.
The Convert to Multitenant Database Containers task is available for all interfaces: web, windows and command line, but the web interface allows you to set advanced parameters:
- Import delivery units into the system database (default = Y)
- Do not start instance after reconfiguration
- Do not start tenant database after reconfiguration
- Set instance startup and shutdown timeout
During the conversion, the original system database is configured as tenant and a new system database is created. This operation is quick as we only need to shutdown the SAP HANA database, update a few settings and restart the instance. Importing the standard HANA content (web IDE, SAPUI5, cockpit, etc.) takes most time and can optionally be postponed or not performed all together.
Note that the conversion is permanent.
The web UI allows to set advanced parameters.
Adding and Removing Host Roles
It is now possible to add and remove host roles after installation in a single-host or multiple-host SAP HANA system using the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) resident program.
As of SPS 10, you have the option to install SAP HANA systems with multiple host roles – including database server roles and SAP HANA option host roles – on one host, or give an existing SAP HANA host additional roles during system update. This enables you to share hardware between the SAP HANA server and SAP HANA options. This concerns the MCOS deployment type: Multiple Components One System.
Typical roles are worker and standby and exist for the the SAP HANA database, dynamic tiering, accelerator for SAP ASE, and the XS advanced runtime. Additionally roles are available for smart data streaming and remote data sync.
Database worker is the default role. For distributed systems, with multiple SAP HANA hosts, systems can assigned the standby role for High Availability purposes.
System Verification Tool
You can check the installation of an SAP HANA system using the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) resident program in the command-line interface for troubleshooting. The check tool outputs basic information about the configuration of the file system, system settings, permission settings, and network configuration and you can use the generated log files as a reference in the case of troubleshooting.
A new guide is available that documents how to configure, manage, and monitor an SAP HANA system that supports SAP HANA multitenant database containers
For more information see:
SAP Help Portal
- SAP HANA Platform Lifecycle Management (New) – What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Library
- SAP HANA Platform Lifecycle Management – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Converting an SAP HANA System to Support Multitenant Database Containers – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Multiple-Host System Concepts – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
- Configuring Host Roles – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Check the Installation Using the Command-Line Interface – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- SAP HANA Multitenant Database Containers
- SAP HANA Options and Additional Capabilities – SAP Help Portal Page
- 2096000 – SAP HANA multitenant database containers – Additional Information
- 2078425 – Troubleshooting note for SAP HANA platform lifecycle management tool hdblcm
- 2082466 – hdblcm SAP HANA – Troubleshooting
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA.
Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy.
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy.