In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 12.
For the complete list of blogs see: What’s New with SAP HANA SPS 12 – by the SAP HANA Academy
The topic of this blog is installation and update.
For the SPS 11 version, see SAP HANA SPS 11 What’s New: Installation and Update – by the SAP HANA Academy
For the blog covering all aspects of SAP HANA installation and update, see SAP HANA installation and update – by the SAP HANA Academy
Supported Operating Systems
For SAP HANA Platform SPS 12 on Intel-based hardware platforms the minimum operating system versions are:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for SAP HANA (RHEL for SAP HANA) 6.7
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) for SAP Applications 11 SP3
For SAP HANA Platform SPS 12 on IBM Power Systems the minimum operating system version is:
- SLES 11 SP4 for IBM Power
Components and component updates can be downloaded from the SAP Support Portal using the Download Components tile in the SAP HANA Platform Lifecycle Management (HDBLCM) web tool.
In previous editions, SAP HANA studio was used to perform this task. Here, as elsewhere, we see the gradual move of functionality from the full Windows client to the web interface.
Note also that the new Download Components tile very much resembles the new SAP ONE Support Launchpad, section System Operations and Maintenance > Software Downloads (on premise).
Component archives which were downloaded from the SAP Support Portal can be prepared for the update using the extract_components action of the SAP HANA HDBLCM resident program in the command-line interface.
In previous editions, you had to perform this task using the SAPCAR tool (and not forget the signature validation as described in Note 2178665). The extract_component parameter now performs these tasks for you, so only a single tool, hdblcm, is needed for all tasks.
The interactive modes of the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM) have been optimized to deliver improved user experience. If a list contains only a single option, it is selected as the default value.
SAP HANA XS Advanced Runtime
The database lifecycle manager tool (hdblcm) now supports the installation and update of the SAP HANA XS Advanced Runtime.
The following XS Advanced Runtime parameters are available:
- xs_components_cfg – Specifies the path to the directory containing MTA extension descriptors (*.mtaext)
- xs_customer_space_isolation – Run applications in customer space with a separate OS user
- xs_customer_space_user_id – OS user ID used for running XS Advanced applications in customer space
- xs_domain_name – Specifies the domain name of an xs_worker host
- xs_routing_mode – Specifies the routing mode to be used for XS advanced runtime installations
- xs_sap_space_isolation – Run applications in SAP space with a separate OS user
- xs_sap_space_user_id – OS user ID used for running XS advanced runtime applications in SAP space
The SAP HANA Installation and Update Guide has been updated for the above-mentioned topics but also has been extended to include a paragraph on SAP HANA and Virtualisation. For the latest support status, see SAP Note 1788665 – SAP HANA Support for virtualized / partitioned (multi-tenant) environments.
Additionally, all database lifecycle manager parameter references are now part of the Parameter Reference chapter in the SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide. For the resident lifecycle manager tool, these were previously documented in the Administration Guide only.
For more information see:
- What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Library
- Download Components from SAP Support Portal Using the Web User Interface – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide…
- Prepare the Software Archive for the Update – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
- SAP HANA XS Advanced Installation and Update (New) – What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Library
- Installing XS Advanced Runtime – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
- SAP HANA and Virtualization – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
- Important SAP Notes – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA.
Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy.
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy.