An approach to automate oData services in NetWeaver Gateway
I am sharing the approach we took in automating oData services in our custom development project for our customer.
Problem statement / Why we need to automate ?
- We are developing 40+ GW Services in large insurance project in a landscape comprising of multiple systems : ERP Core, FS-PM, CRM, BI and other third-party products.
- As GW Data providers are wrappers of underlying functionalities, there is always a constant change in the backend systems which requires enormous amount of time in troubleshooting the issues
Solution / What and how we automated GW Services
- Developed a simple program to execute the test cases defined in Gateway client tool.
- A configuration table to maintain which test group / test cases to be executed.
- Logs table to maintain the test execution
- Program which reads data from configuration table and execute the tests using Gateway client APIs and logs the test execution.
- Executed this program on a daily basis to test the following
- Functional Regression : Does all the functionalities works as with yesterday
- Performance testing : Captures the response time and content length for each test
- Security testing : Is there any “Forbidden” response
Benefits we got
- Reduced the manual testing efforts of 5 hours per day resulting in 500 hours of saving for the project in next 6 months (for UAT till go-live)
- 200+ GW service operations automated
- Proactively monitoring the issues and solving it before the test team report the issues