SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud and SAP HANA Cloud Platform: A Hybrid with a View
With so many cloud offerings in the market today, it can be difficult to decide which to choose. Public, private, hybrid, or community – no matter your direction, you need a platform that holds it all together. From an SAP perspective, both SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud and SAP HANA Cloud Platform provide that foundation.
Which platform is right for your business? According to the latest Webcast hosted by Americas’ SAP Users’ Group (ASUG), “How to Navigate a Successful Cloud Journey – Embracing a Hybrid Environment with SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud,” the answer may be both.
Connecting the disconnected: Making the case for agility
To understand how these two platforms complement each other, it is best to understand their unique differences first:
- SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud service is essentially a private-managed cloud that accelerates migration of mission-critical applications to the cloud and adoption of a digital core running on the SAP S/4HANA suite. By moving to a reliable, secure location that is optimized for performance, organizations can better focus on more strategic problem solving and address business needs of the moment while SAP manages the core system in a scalable, reliable manner.
- SAP HANA Cloud Platform service is a platform as a service that allows organizations to build new digital applications, extend on-premise and digital applications, and integrate the entire landscape into a single cloud infrastructure. Whether the applications are running on premise, in SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud, or within any other cloud, organizations that are building applications can benefit from end-to-end integration – shortening development time to just a matter of weeks, instead of the traditional 12-month cycle.
Now, when you consider the makeup of your IT infrastructure, the solid core is typically invisible to users. This reliable, yet inflexible, layer of the architecture is complex and updated through long release cycles. Think of this as your back-end system of record.
The second layer that wraps around your solid core is the agile layer, where your business users experience the application. It is commonly updated frequently and considered agile, extensible, and simple in terms of the interface. An example would be a mobile app.
Since the two layers are so distinct, it is tough to choose one platform over the other. However, if you adopt a two-pronged cloud strategy, you may achieve the best of both worlds. By migrating your solid core to SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud, you can take advantage of significantly faster processing speed as well as the scalability and security needed to compete in this digital economy. Then, by moving your agile layer and all your applications in it to SAP HANA Cloud Platform, you can use powerful development methods – such as dev/ops, waterfall, and application factory – that enable you to work closely with business stakeholders and prioritize applications and business solutions. At the same time, you can still pull from the solid core when needed by accessing SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud through SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
SAPPHIRE NOW: What will your cloud journey look like?
Uniting the solid core with the agile layer can result in performance efficiencies and development opportunities that may have never been possible before. Visit the Digital Business Services campus at SAPPHIRE NOW to find out how the combined power of SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud and SAP HANA Cloud Platform can help your company become more competitive in today’s digital economy.
Check out these information-packed sessions to get started on your own path:
- Journey Towards a Digital Transformation
- Explore the Path to the Next-Generation Business Suite
- Cloud Deployment of SAP S/4HANA