from Things to Outcomes with the SAP Internet of Things Platform – the SAP IoT Client
In this SAP Internet of Things (IoT) Platform blog we are going to take a look at the SAP IoT Client, a set of services that can be deployed at the edge of the end to end IoT hardware and software solution.
IDC estimates that “by 2018, 40% of IoT-created data will be stored, processed, analyzed, and acted upon close to, or at the edge, of the network.” (Source: IDC Reveals Worldwide Internet of Things Predictions for 2015) Read it up for other interesting nuggets about IoT.
IoT deployments generally look like the “MGC” architecture.
M = Things eMbedded. For example: Industry machinery (e.g. turbines, pumps), others (e.g. USB dongle)
G = Gateway. For example: Industry PC, Router, Raspberry PI, Smart Phone, Local PC
C = Center. For example: Big Data Analytics and application platform (Cloud, On Premise, Hybrid)
IoT deployments need processing at the edge to generally fulfill on the following scenarios:
- Sometimes devices only have local connectivity capabilities and a capable edge offering is needed to connect to such devices
- Sometimes IoT deployments need to collect device data while offline from the center of the IoT deployment and uploading the collected information when connected to the center again.
- Store reference and operational data locally for use by devices and applications, with bi-directional synchronization with the center
- Provide a full platform for local applications, including analytics and transactions, with good response time, even when connected to the center via low-bandwidth and even when temporarily disconnected
Local Data Storage
- In many cases it may not make sense to transfer all the data to the center, but rather to hold some/all of it at the edge, where it can be analyzed from the center or selectively uploaded as needed
- In case filtering or sampling or aggregating incoming device data is needed to reduce the amount of data sent to the center.
- In case the ability to apply complex or dynamic filtering logic – i.e. not limited to simple, static criteria.
Immediate Local Response
- In case there is a need to monitor incoming data, in real-time, to watch for conditions, trends, patterns, etc. that require immediate response
- In case there is a need for local alerting and response capabilities without reliance on being connected to the center when things happen
- In case there is a need to reduce latency of response by eliminating the dependency on a round-trip to the center
The SAP IoT Client is composed of three solutions: Streaming Lite, SQL Anywhere, Database and Sync Client and Plant Connectivity
Streaming Lite offers the following capabilities:
- Filter close to source to reduce bandwidth and need for excessive central capacity. It is not limited to simple filtering and can apply complex and dynamic filter criteria as needed
- Aggregate data to reduce sampling rate to allow for reporting trending rather than raw values
- Local alerting and response needs by generating local alerts or response without relying on round-trip to center (or even connectivity to center)
SQL Anywhere offers the following capabilities:
- Enterprise caliber-feature set including complex analytic functions, full text search, and spatial support
- Can easily be embedded in applications and hardware
- Engineered to run in remote environments with no database administrator present
- Extensive self-tuning and self-management features
Plant Connectivity (PCo) offers the following capabilities:
- Surveillance of unplanned events
- Distribution of messages to different destinations
- Bi-directional communication (notification + read/write scenarios)
- Software development kit (SDK) for additional agents
- Remote monitoring for surveillance of agent instances and multiple PCo Systems
We hope this blog has offered you information to further your understanding of the SAP IoT Platform Client offering. In case you have further questions then please feel free to leave a comment seeking clarification or start a Q&A thread in the discussion section of the
SAP Solutions for the Internet of Things community.
SAP would like to thank you for your time and attention.