SAP S/4HANA on premise edition: FPS versus SPS
we’ve heard the need for clarify on SAP S/4HANA release strategy, especially how a Feature Pack Stack relates to a Support Pack Stack,…
I will try to give you our SCN readers clarity on that, with a focus on the on premise product only: SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition
What is a Feature Pack Stack and at what cadence are they shipped?
For the product SAP S/4HANA on premise edition, SAP is shipping 1 new key release per year, and 3 successive Feature Pack Stacks (FPS) on a quarterly basis. Then comes the next key release, followed by 3 Feature Pack Stacks, etc.
Technically speaking, an FPS is similar to an SPS, but it may include non-disruptive, non-mandatory features. You will find the detailed definition of an Feature Pack Stack in the release strategy glossary: https://support.sap.com/release-upgrade-maintenance/release-strategy/glossary.html#f
What does this mean concretely for SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition?
Here concretely for the current on-premise product:
- SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1511 (shipped in November 2015)
- Then SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1511 FPS01 (shipped in February 2016)
- Then SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1511 FPS02 (planned in Q2 2016)
- Then SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1511 FPS03 (planned in Q3 2016)
In Q4 2016, SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1511 will go into maintenance only mode, and will be supported with SPS (Support Package stacks), according to the maintenance contract.
The numbering of FPS/SPS will be consecutive, i.e. the first SPS after a FPS3 would be consequently SPS4.
At the same time, SAP will ship the next big on premise release, SAP S/4HANA, on premise edition 1610, which will be followed by Feature pack stack on a quarterly basis.
Important update from October 20 2016:
1. SAP will ship neither an FPS in Q3 2016 as initially announced, nor an SPS. All the planned, non-disruptive, non-mandatory features were shipped with the FPS2.
2. SAP will ship an SPS in Q4 as planned and communicated and shown below
3. SAP will ship as planned a major release, SAP S/4HANA 1610, planned for end of October
Picture: SAP S/4HANA release management
Need more information?
You will find more details about the maintenance rules strategy here:
Hope this help to clarify the topic, happy to get your feedback!
Follow me @ypeterschmitt