As you already know from the release 1508 onward, SAP Cloud Application Studio provides the support to do ABSL code changes directly in the Customer’s production tenants.
This feature helps to makes the code correction directly in the production tenants instead of creating a new patch.
If you want to do any code change to a solution in a productive tenant, with this new feature the code changes can be done directly in the production tenant.
Usually the Production Bug Fix feature is used only in cases where the source tenant is already upgraded to a higher release than the production tenant and the customer requires an urgent fix that needs to be carried out in the production tenant and cannot wait until the production upgrade. Also you have to make sure that whatever changes you are making in the production tenant should be maintained again in the current patch after that.
Steps to Enable the Feature:
1. The first step to enable this feature is to assign the work center view ‘Production Fix Authorization’ to the Studio developer from the Application and User management work center-> Business User -> Select the Business User -> Access Rights.
2. The Solution on which the code changes are to be carried out should be scoped and with Deployed status.
3. In the Solution Explorer, click on the highlighted icon to Create a Correction. Read the Disclaimer pop-up and agree to proceed with the code changes.
4. In the Solution Explorer, check-out the specific absl file for which the code change needs to be carried out. Perform the absl code changes as required using the Studio absl editor. Save and Activate the modified absl file.Check-In the activated absl file.
5. In the Solution Explorer, click on the highlighted icon to Close the Correction. Once the correction is closed, the status of the Solution will be changed from “Deployed-In Correction” to “Deployed” .
6. In the Solution Explorer, right click on the specific file and click on ‘Revert’. This will roll back all the changes done to the specific file to the state before the correction was started (i.e., the previous successfully Deployed state).
7. On successful activation, the code changes will be active for the Business users.
Issues or Errors Associated with the Production Fix Feature:.
You would notice the below error when you login to the production tenant:
“Production Fix not allowed as solution deployment is not finished.”
This error message occurs if work center view “Production Fix authorization” is assigned to user, but the solution is not in status Deployed. This work center view should be assigned if user wants to correct the script file of a deployed solution in production tenant.
If assigned by mistake, then this error will pop up. You can just ignore the message by clicking on OK for the deployment to continue and make sure you un-assign the Work Center view for the user if not required.
This error will not hinder any of the PDI Life Cycle Management activities. The error pop-up is just to inform user that Production Fix not allowed because the solution is not in Deployed status but the user has been assigned with the work center View.