The New Age of Analytics – SCP && SAC
SAP launched SAP Analytics Cloud a.k.a (C4A) a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) offering natively built on the SAP Cloud Platform. In this tutorial, you will learn how-to setup HANA on SAP Cloud Platform as a remote source and use SAP Analytics Cloud to visualize and share the insights with other users.
- Access to trial landscape, you need to have a developer account first. If you still need to create a developer account, you can start from here: Signing Up for a Developer Account.
- Access to Cloud for Analytics account, to register you can start from here: Discover Cloud For Analytics. *Live Data Connection is only enabled in Production Account.
To create and configure a trial tenant database, follow these steps:
- Log on to the SAP HANA Cloud Platform cockpit and select an account.
- Choose Databases & Schemas from the menu on the left. Choose New.
- In the Database ID enter a unique ID that contains lower-case letters and numbers.
- In the Database System field select the HANA MDC (<trial>) option. Fill in the SYSTEM User Password field. Choose Save.
The Events page is displayed. It shows the progress of the database creation.
NOTE* If there are no free resources available you will not be able to create a tenant database. You should try again later. Free Trial also offers maximum of three Databases & Schemas which you can assign to your account.
5. Wait until the tenant database is in Started state. This process might take a while
Now you have your tenant database created and configured. Click on Administration Tools: SAP HANA Cockpit.
6. This will open-up log on screen to an Administrative console (Username: system) and your previously saved password for Database/Schema. Disregard Information screen by clicking on Ok button – new roles will automatically become assigned after your confirmation.
7. This leads us to a SAP HANA Database Administration screen. Click on Manage Roles and Users Tile to proceed.
8. This will open up HANA Web-based Development Workbench: Security screen. Double-Click on the SYSTEM users and search through SYSTEM Users by clicking on the green + sign:
9. Under Type name to find a role, select the following roles:
10. Click on the Save icon.
11. Click on the Link icon and open Catalog
12. Click on SQL icon, copy the content from file (attached below) CreateTable.SQL.txt into it and click on the execute arrow button. Successful execution will show COUNT(*) of 91.
13. Click on the Link icon and select Editor
14. Right-click on the Content folder, select New – Package
15. Enter c4aview as Package name and confirm it by clicking on the Create button
16. Right-click on the package, select New – File an name it AN_CUSTOMER.analyticview
17. Copy the content from file (attached) AN_CUSTOMER.analyticview.txt into it and confirm it by clicking on the Save icon
18. Login to your C4A account with your details and click on Connection
19. Click on the + button Live Data Connection > SAP HANA
20. Enter the following parameters:
- Name : your system’s desired name (max 10 character)
- Connection type: Proxy
- Host: testc4a<accountname>trial.hanatrial.ondemand.com
- User : System
- Password : xxxxxxx (your password)
21. Remote system was added:
22. Got to Main Menu and select Modeler
23. Click on Import icon and select Create Model from Remote System
24. Select your remote connection under System, select the Data Source: AN_CUSTOMER and give name to the model. Confirm everything by clicking on the Ok button
25. Go to Main Menu and select Stories and click on the + icon on the right hand side of the screen to create the new story
26. Enter Title, choose as path Public and confirm everything by clicking on the Create button
27. Click on Add Canvas icon to start your story
28. Click on the Data View and select + to Add New Data
29. Select Existing Data and choose from the drop down list your previously created model. Finalize everything by clicking on the Ok button
30. Click Page 1 link
31. And an object to your canvas clicking on Chart
32. Select your existing model and Chart based on your preference by selecting Axis 1 (Measure) and Categories (Dimension)
33. Click on the + icon to add another chart, pick your existing model and select pie chart with the following parameters:
- Chart Type: Pie Chart
- Values: Net_Amount
- Color: Country
- Click on the Save button and click on Present
This will drive you to the point where you can share created visualization by clicking on Share button in the next screen…
This will conclude part 1. By now, you should have a good understanding about SAP HANA Cloud Platform and its native set of capabilities to integrate with Cloud For Analytics. In part 2, we’ll have a closer look on some of the additional things that we can do using SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
Special Thanks to:
An exceptional colleague of mine Thomas Andreas Muller.