How much effort is it to implement IBP?
Recently I get a lot of questions of how much effort it is to implement IBP
That’s it, very often no more details. Or “just SOP”.
David wrote a nice blog http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-64883 with lots of information of how to get started and how much effort it could take
I am consultant, and people usually hit me when my estimates turns out inaccurate, so it depends on requirements and if an RDS solution would be fitting
Therefore now I am writing this blog once, so next time I can reply with the link to these questions:
- Which processes are you planning to use, what do you want to achieve?
- Which modules do you need, SOP? With or without Heuristic / Optimizer? Constrained or unconstrained? Control Tower? IO? Demand Management & Sensing? Response?
- Which roles would you need? E.g. Demand Planner, global Manager, Supply Planner, Finance … How many roles?
- How many users will you have?
- Do you need UoM conversion?
- Do you plan to work with prices and with currencies? How?
- Will you have key figures for which you would need to have a cross-period calculation? If yes, what for?
- What kind of data do you need to import from other systems? How many and what type of systems? How many master data and key figure for the interface?
- Which data do you need to export out of IBP, how many and to which systems? As flatfile or using web services to writer directly to database of the target system
- Are you working pretty much in standard on ECC side or do you have a lot of modifications, especially in the data structure?
- How many Alerts, Dashboards, Planning Views & Reports do you require?
- How many key figures do you think you will need all together for the users?
- Do you need simulations?
- How many systems do you plan, one development and one production, more or is it only a demo standalone?
- Will you need JAM?
- Do you want a 300-PS-Porsche or a used Bicycle with no gearshift or just a pair of shoes to walk?
Have a nice day
Good questionnaire..Do you have any sample answers..
well, since this week the new IBP 6.1 is released and with it the RDS solution:
That helps a lot for the effort estimation, and it includes great process flows and descriptions that provide some standard answers
However, the questions are still valid when you try to figure out the differences towards the standard configuration, so they may be helpful in your "blueprint" phase.
Hi the link goes to the service market place which has now been retired. Do you have a link to the equivalent document for 2023?
that post is really super old 🙂
SAP Best Practices Explorer is release independent Best Practise Explorer for IBP, which had replaced the wording RDS
Thanks for responding Irmi, I was attracted by your reference to help with effort estimation. I'm new to IBP but have implemented APO in the past so was looking for ways of estimating the effort
I am pretty new to the SAP IBP. I am a Business Analyst. I am trying to come with the functional requirement questionare for Demand, Supply and S&Op for the stakeholders so that I gather the accurate requirements. Can you please help.