Oracle cloud file system is coordinated with the Automatic Storage Management features of the Oracle Database. Together they provide one solution for dealing with all business data, application binaries and individual information in a cloud infrastructure. It dispenses with the requirement for 3rd party volume managers and file systems.
Oracle Cloud File System is SAP certified of version 188.8.131.52 of Oracle for Oracle Real Application Clusters and for Oracle Single Instance which compliments Automatic Storage Management for Oracle Databases.
Automatic Storage Management (ASM) is a feature that was given by the Oracle Corporation that too within the Oracle Database starting from the release of Oracle 10g. Its objective is to ease the management of database files, log files and control files.
As Larry Ellison said “Oracle had to play at all 3 cloud layers because of a promise we made to customers 30 years ago, before cloud existed.”
In Organizations, SAP applications are run with Oracle databases using the same code on Unix, Linux, and Windows operating systems. After the release of 11 g, Oracle Cloud File System is ideally utilized for storage platform for SAP systems running on Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), additionally for SAP systems running on a single Oracle Database.
ASM diminishes expense and complexity without compromising performance and increase the accessibility of the SAP system.
SAP customers can utilize Oracle Cloud File System to manage the following data:
- Oracle Database files
- Oracle Clusterware files
- Text files
- External files
- Non-structured general purpose data (Oracle and SAP kernel binaries)
Features of Oracle Cloud File System
1. Oracle Automatic Storage Management Cluster File System
- Oracle Automatic Storage Management Cluster File System is a storage management technology, which has scalable file system and multi-platform feature.
- The customer files that are outside the Oracle database are being maintained by Oracle ASM.
- Oracle ACFS can be accessed and managed using original operating system file system tools and standard application programming interfaces (APIs).
- It is the preferred file manager for non – database files.
2. Oracle Automatic Storage Management Dynamic Volume Manager
- ADVM is constructed from an Oracle ASM dynamic volume.
- Oracle ADVM facilitates a standard disk device driver interface to clients and also provides services for volume management.
- The File systems and other disk-Based applications send I/O requests to Oracle ADVM volume devices on a vendor operating system.
- Oracle ADVM can be utilized to create virtual disks that contain file systems. These file systems can be used to support files beyond Oracle database files. The file system can be executable files, report files, trace files, alert logs, and other application data files.
- Oracle ADVM volumes are Oracle ASM files so they require the same administrative privileges as the Oracle ASM files.
Transfer SAP databases to Oracle database 11g Release 2
SAP customers can move their databases to ASM. ASM is the preferred storage platform for SAP systems running on RAC and single instance.
The migrations of files can be defined as follows:
About the Author:
Vaishnavi Agrawal loves pursuing excellence through writing and have a passion for technology. She has successfully managed and run personal technology magazines and websites. She currently writes for intellipaat.com, a global training company that provides e-learning and professional certification training.
The courses offered by Intellipaat address the unique needs of working professionals. She is based out of Bangalore and has an experience of 5 years in the field of content writing and blogging. Her work has been published on various sites related to Hadoop, Big Data, Business Intelligence, Cloud Computing, IT, SAP, Project Management and mo