I want to share a case that I had when I was refreshing my quality system from the production system last week.

My system is ERP 6.0 EHP7 on HANA DB.

I did my system refresh according to the note “1844468 – Homogeneous system copy on SAP HANA“. In this note there are two options. You can either run “Standart System ” option or run “Database Refresh or move” option as seen below.

DBRefresh_1.jpg

Both option does the DB recovery in one of the installation steps.

First I run the Database Refresh option. During this run I got a warning after recovery step that was saying “A timeout occured while starting the database instance. Please check the database log and start the database manually before continuing.” Here is the warning.

DBRefresh_2.jpg

So I checked the DB diagnostic files, saw nothing unusual and started the DB manually and finished the installation. I did not get any more error. But when I login to system I realized that the data of production system was not in my Qas system.

I checked the installation logs (sapinst.log) there I saw that DB recovered successfully. But no fresh data in Qas system. That was strange.

DBRefresh_3.jpg

I was suspicious about the recovery but could not find anything in logs. I supposed that this is because of Database Refresh so I run Standart System copy. Running standart system copy took the same warning either. I finished recovery process with manual start of database and finished the installation. Of course copy process was not successfull again. The Quality system’s data was the old data again. This was strange too. What was the problem? Why I could not do the system copy that I did many times before.

As third try I uninstalled the system, deleted DB and rerun the standart system copy process. This time since I deleted the DB I got connection errors during installation. This brought something to my mind. I investigated the problem in detail and realized that there is an error in backup.log file. That was “Permission denied“. Very simple thing that I forgot.

Here is the backup.log file content.

DBRefresh_4.jpg

After I changed the permissions of the backup files as seen below I rerun the installation and finished without any warning or error.

This installation was successfull also in refreshing the data.

DBRefresh_5.jpg

At last I was successful.

Lesson learnt for me;

  • Permissions are important things for linux systems
  • Donot ignore or underestimate any warnings during installations
  • Never give up you will succeed
  • Every problem is an opportunity

I wish no one encounters this kind of inconsistencies.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

To report this post you need to login first.

Be the first to leave a comment

You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.

Leave a Reply