When setting up an SAP Solution Manager 7.2 system, you need to take care of the requirements of the Landscape Management Database (LMDB) regarding the version of the System Landscape Directory (SLD) providing data of technical systems, CIM model, and CR content. For details see SAP Note 2175739 – Required SAP NW version of SLD for LMDB in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 explains the required SAP NetWeaver version of the source SLD for SAP Solution Manager 7.2 LMBD. We call such an SLD “source SLD”.
Note: SAP Note 2175739 needs to be applied before Solution Manager LMDB initial setup (data load) to avoid missing data in CIM model, CR Content, and technical systems’ data. Connecting the LMDB to an SLD with insufficient NetWeaver version can result in missing data and may require rework.
Source SLD in Solution Manager 7.2 – Scenarios & Consequences
We can distinguish the following scenarios of source SLD version and LMDB:
- Scenario 1: Source SLD system(s) of the LMDB is on a required SAP NetWeaver version
- Scenario 2: The source SLD system(s) of LMDB is NOT on a required SAP NetWeaver version
- Scenario 2a: Source SLD system(s) of LMDB is NOT on a required SAP NetWeaver version – connection NOT done
- Scenario 2b: Source SLD system(s) of LMDB is NOT on a required SAP NetWeaver version – connection WAS done
Topology Recommendations (default) for SAP Solution Manager 7.2
The topology of SLD/LMDB systems hasn’t changed with SAP Solution Manager 7.2 (see SLD Topology: How-To Gather and Distribute SLD-Data in Your IT-Landscape?), so the recommendations haven’t changed:
Figure 1: Default recommendation of SLD/LMDB topology.
Scenario 1: Source SLD System(s) of the LMDB is on a required SAP NetWeaver Version
The source SLD providing landscape data, CIM and CR data to the LMDB needs a minimum SAP NetWeaver version according to SAP Note 2175739 – Required SAP NW version of SLD for LMDB in SAP Solution Manager 7.2.
This note needs to be applied before Solution Manager LMDB initial setup (data load) to avoid problems in CIM model, CR Content, and technical systems’ data.
Valid version of the source SLD table from note 2175739 (look there for latest updates):
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0, SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP1 / not supported
- SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP2 / SP 17
- SAP NetWeaver 7.1 / SP 19
- SAP NetWeaver 7.1 EHP1 / SP 14
- SAP NetWeaver 7.2 / not supported
- SAP NetWeaver 7.3 / SP 12
- SAP NetWeaver 7.3 EHP1 / SP 14
- SAP NetWeaver 7.4 / SP 9
No additional action to normal setup of the LMDB is required
Scenario 2: The Source SLD system(s) of LMDB is NOT on a Required SAP NetWeaver Version
In scenario 2 the source SLD system(s) of LMDB is NOT on a required version we need to differentiate between 3 sub-scenarios:
- Source SLD can be patched or updated
- 2a: The LMDB has NOT been connected to a source SLD
This scenario requires additional steps in preparation – see details below
- 2b: The LMDB HAS been connected to a source SLD
This scenario requires additional steps in preparation plus some correction effort – see details below
2a: The LMDB has NOT been connected to a source SLD – this requires additional steps in preparation
TODO: Bring your source SLD of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 LMDB to a sufficient SAP NetWeaver version…
- …either by updating the existing source SLD to sufficient SAP NetWeaver version
- … or by using a new source SLD with sufficient SAP NetWeaver version
To get a new SLD, we recommend using the local SLD of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 as new source SLD, which is on a sufficient version (If you do not use SLD data productively in the landscape (NW PI; Web Dynpro Java) the local SLD can get Data Supplier Data as well; if there is such use,
- Connect the new source SLD to SAP Solution Manager 7.2:
- You can either connect the new source SLD to the LMDB with Full Automatic Content Sync
- or just get the technical systems’ data by bridge forwarding from the current source SLD – for details see More on System Landscape Directory ;
Initial fill can be done by temporary full content sync, which is then to be replaced by forwarding technical systems’ data completely, which will be handled correctly by the new source SLD.
(Note: The sync of an SLD on too low a version sends data incompletely, which will be healed with next Data Supplier run.) Also see SLD and LMDB Topology: Replacing the Source SLD for the LMDB
2b: The LMDB HAS been connected to a source SLD on insufficient NetWeaver Release
This scenario requires additional steps preparation and some correction effort:
- Update the existing source SLD or use a new source SLD
- Run repair jobs for CIM/CR Content data – also see SAP Notes:
- 1093168 – Repair of SLD CR content – use this SAP Note, if you need to fix an error in SLD’s CR Content.
- 1891566 – Repair of LMDB CR Content – use this SAP Note, if you need to fix an error in LMDB’s CR Content in case there is inconsistent SAP CR Content in the of SAP Solution Manager and the SAP CR Content in the System Landscape Directory (SLD) is consistent.
- 1949792 – Report to resynchronize technical systems and data supplier timestamps from SLD to LMDB – use this in case of problems with this type of data
Process Integration – PI Monitoring
If you are using SAP Process Integration (PI), data from the SLD is required. Usually, this is sent by an SLD containing PI data by full automatic sync.
Now, there is an additional way available described in SAP Note 1816997 – Setting Up Process Integration Monitoring in Solution Manager 7.2 SPS01.