How to avoid/solve 20% of your Webi Incidents ! – Fonts
During the work with Web Intelligence reports you can face with different Font related issues.
Font related issues can be different:
- Font doesn’t appear in the report
- Question mark, or squares instead of letters
- Font install/export issues in Web Intelligence
- missing UTF-8/NLS_LANG variable due to the character encoding issue
What should you check?
1. Check if you have any problems with another font types. (e.g. Arial Unicode MS)
2. Re-Install the affected font on Server and Client machine
- Download the font from internet.
Somtimes you can find fonts with different versions as well, use the latest if possible.
- Open ’Control panel → Fonts’
- Copy the downloaded font into the ’Fonts’ folder
3. Make sure, that you’ve modified the fontalias.xml on Server and Client:
- Path for client: <SAP_BO_INSTALL FOLDER>\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\fonts
- Path for server: <SAP_BO_INSTALL FOLDER>\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\fonts
For PDF exporting the i18n.xml file needs to be edited, see example:
The i18n.xml file can be found under the following path on Client:
- <SAP_BO_INSTALL FOLDER>\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\scripts\
Please always backup the files before editing, and restart Tomcat and SIA after you’re done.
4. If the issue is environment specific:
- Compare the font version
- Check the registry entries for nls parameters
- Compare the environment variables
- For character encoding see the port the tomcat is running in the tomcat/conf/server.xml and make sure URIEncoding=”UTF-8” parameter is set.
- copy a character into a free report cell from Word document, where font appears good
Helpful SAP KBAs:
- 2202002 – Hebrew character size in Web Intelligence Applet Query Panel is smaller than roman character
- 1201527 – How to install a font for BusinessObjects XI Release 2/XI.3x on a UNIX Platform
How to become more professional?
- Visit „Troubleshooting by Scenario SAP” wiki page
- Search for “webi font” on SAP Note & Knowledge Base Article Search page: https://support.sap.com/notes