How to install msg.pm on SAP HANA
How to install msg.pm Designer on HANA DB.
1. First of all, you need to install HANA DB on separate hardware/environment. I assume this step is straight forward. So, will not be describing details of it.
This has to be SUSE Linux system as Windows is not officially supported.
2. In the Windows environment where msg.pm software will be installed you will need to meet some prerequisites before you proceed with installation.
I used Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard in my case. In addition to this you need to install:
– C++ libraries need to be installed (vcredist_x86_2005.exe),
– HANA client has to be installed in the msg.pm environment to be able to communicate with HANA DB. Ideally both HANA DB and HANA Client should be on the same revision. But it will work also, if they are not the same. In some cases, you have to upgrade HANA client to match HANA DB revision.
According to 2015 msg.pm install guide, requirements are to have minimum revision 73 on HANA DB and minimum 74 on HANA client. I installed HANA revision 102.
Pay attention that HANA client installation will also install different version of C++ libraries. But for msg.pm Designer you will need separate 2005 version as specified above.
3. Once the above are installed, you need to configure ODBC Data Source for HANA DB, as per the below screenshot. It has to be under System DSN:
4. Configure HANA server details and test the connection:
5. You can test it with SYSTEM user to verify connectivity. But to install DB schema, you will need to create different user on HANA and grant some admin privileges.
6. As I wasn’t sure what privileges I need exactly, I granted pretty much the same system privileges from SYSTEM user to my MSG_USER that will serve as admin to connect to MSG.PM designer. This user needs to be able to create new schema and perform other admin operations. That’s why needs more admin privileges.
7. We should be able to start installation using the executable file and make sure you specify installation user with administrative privileges to execute it.
8. Once installation is done, you will have to install database to generate schema and tables using the MsginstallDatabaseU executable program in *\PMDesigner\bin directory of your installation forlder. You will need a license number to start the process of installation.
9. Once installation is completed, you can verify the schema in HANA Studio :
10. You can also log on to the Designer using the menu shortcuts created during installation:
11. Log on using HANA user that was created prior to installation:
12. You will have to logon to Security Designer to generate security configuration on your database. Here you will have to use your HANA connection from ODBC and log on with the same admin user created for MSG installation on HANA.
Those are the major steps, as far as I remember. It’s only the beginning of configuration nightmare required to get msg.pm running fully.
Enjoy and please update this blog, if you have some additional experience.