Today, we celebrate an important day in US history, Martin Luther King’s birthday (MLK) – which is officially on January 15th, however, in the US it is celebrated on the 3rd Monday in January. MLK was an important figure in our History, amongst other things, but also because in August 1963, he delivered the famous speech called “I have a dream”.
Similarly to MLK’s speech, many IT professionals have had a dream. A dream that one day, data from different sources, colors, structures, and backgrounds can all be gathered together, analyzed, and served under one central repository. That central repository which now houses data together (persisted or virtually) is called SAP HANA.
SAP, the HANA team and other SAP technologies have made this “dream” a reality for the IT world and the enterprises.
1) SAP Landscape and Transformation (SLT) is a tool provided by SAP that facilitates the near real time data replication from sources such as ECC, MSSQL , Oracle (and others) into HANA. Also, via SLT we can create virtual Models and we are able to utilize those models in HANA. http://scn.sap.com/community/replication-server/blog/2013/06/10/starter-blog-for-sap-lt-replication-server
2) Smart Data Access – SDA makes it possible to access remote data, without having to replicate the data to the SAP HANA database beforehand. https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw74/helpdata/en/bb/df686dc0d94f779b5c11d06753da95/frameset.htm
3) Smart Data Integration – SAP HANA smart data access (SDA) functionality is further enhanced in SAP HANA smart data integration to provide virtual access for non-critical data https://blogs.saphana.com/2015/09/11/simplifying
4) Data Services – is an ETL tool that provides a solution for data integration, data quality, data profiling, and text data processing that allows you to integrate, transform, improve, and deliver trusted data to critical business processes
5) HANA Extended Application Services, aka HANA XS. With HANA XS, we are able to serve data via http(s) to other sources. Moreover, XS is the engine which allows web applications to be built and with the help of sapui5 (JS library) we can build modern and responsive applications. Further, the consumption of external data is also possible via outbound connectivity.
Please feel free to ask questions about any of the HANA topics above.
Thank you for reading this short blog and happy MLK day!