FALV -> Fast ALV Grid Object
Finally I’ve finished to work under FALV. You can find FALV classes in attachment and description under the links. But firstly let’s go through few following points:
- Why I’ve created FALV although SALV classes are provided by SAP?
I know SALV classes although I haven’t used them often. The main reason was that they don’t provide edit mode. So at the end I’ve always worked with cl_gui_alv_grid class so then whenever users decided that they need one of the field to be editable then I can do it in few seconds/minutes.
- But there is a way to make SALV editable!
Yes, I know the solutions of Naimesh Patel (found here) and Paul Hardy (in his ABAP to the Future book) and some other folks to make SALV editable. But In my own opinion, especially when you’re at least on 7.40 with SP5 making SALV editable is not needed as you can fast create ALV Grid which does everything you want. To be clear the big advantage of SALV, to call grid output of table in two, three lines when you goes to the code you’ll see it’s nothing more than call of REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY… really old FM, which at the end use CL_GUI_ALV_GRID. And yes I know about new SALV class for HANA, but that is another story…
- Direct reasons
As I used CL_GUI_ALV_GRID so often then I came up with an idea to do some class which will make the creation faster, but I never had time to do it at work. You may know it, because of the time pressure you choose to create report/program/solution in the way you’re doing from years … and then comes another task….and another….
So I’ve decided to do it at home…. yeah I’m crazy. But at least some of you can also use it.
- Fast CL_GUI_ALV_GRID creation
- Replacement of REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY and REUSE_ALV_GRID_DISPLAY_LVC for a simple editable reports to omit screen creation
- All events are already handled and with redefinition of method I can faster use it
- Faster setting of layout and field catalog attributes
- Easy switch and copy between popup, full screen and container version
- Easy toolbar handling (in grid and in full screen/popup using Dynamic GUI STATUS & TITLE with ABAP code )
- One place to handle user commands of full screen/popup call -> event user_command
I’ve worked on this on 7.40 SP8 but this should work also on SP5 as well. Sorry for the users bellow that versions but I’m so used to use new syntax that I couldn’t force myself to use old way of coding.
UPDATE: Thanks to Santi Moreno we have now 7.31 version, you can find it here as an attachment in blog with name ZFALV_V1.1.0.zip. Also GitHub repository is now available here https://github.com/fidley/falv so if you’d like to join us, you’re more than welcomed.
- Source code
Always updated source code in NUGG files and examples of usage will be available on my blog -> abapblog.com/falv . Bellow you can find some example videos with usage of FALV.
I really encourage you to try it and give me your feedback about FALV.