Dirigible is a free development platform offering tools and runtime environment. You can try HTML, CSS, Java Script, Java, and SQL without installing anything on your computer. Just start it in HCP (SAP Hana Cloud Platform) and access from anywhere and create your own project. It could be very useful for learners, or for teachers as an online educational tool for full stack web development.
- Trial account at SAP HANA Cloud – how to Sign Up for developer account (free)
Download the Dirigible war
- Go to http://download.eclipse.org/dirigible/ latest release – it is currently: http://download.eclipse.org/dirigible/drops/R-2.1-201510071717/index.html
- In the section HANA Cloud Platform download “All-in-one WAR” (~53MB) http://download.eclipse.org/dirigible/drops/R-2.1-201510071717/sap/allinone/dirigible.war
- Save the war file locally
Deploy and start your instance of the Dirigible in the cloud
- Go to your SAP HANA Cloud Cockpit on trial landscape: https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com. Ok it could be also paid one http://hana.ondemand.com . The trial has all the functionality you need for educational purpose.
- Log on with your HCP credentials (if you did not already do it)
- Go to Java Application menu and click Deploy. (if you have already deployed an application your screen might be slightly different, just click Deploy application)
- Upload dirigible war, chose Runtime name: ”Java Web”, and click deploy.
- After the dirigible.war is deployed (it may take 1 minute), then start it.
Just press OK. Another way to start the application is to press the start button in the Application menu:
This may take 2 – 5 minutes.
- When the application is started, click on the application – this will open the application dashboard. Now you can see some more application details
- Assign yourself the Operator and Developer role using the Roles menu for this application:
For more details about assigning roles you can follow: Managing Roles
- Access the application URL in the Overview tab:
Use your SAP HANA account credentials to access the application. And good luck with your projects in Dirigible. 🙂