Tips & Tricks using SAP BW Modeling Tools (BWMT) in Eclipse
Eclipse provides a great set of features out of the box which can be used with the SAP BW Modeling Tools.
This document summarizes the most important and most valuable tips you should be aware of and will be constantly updated!
We are also looking for your ideas, feedback and tips. Please feel free to comment or to reach out to me.
For more implementation details please also refer to this document.
- Efficient Tab Handling
- Enlarge and minimize individual tabs by double clicking:
- Drag a tab to out of the eclipse window will create an open a pop up window for the specific object:
- Configure Problems View that only active and object related messages appear (View menu -> Show) :
- More you can add a timestamp to the problem view (View menu -> Configure Columns) :
- Link BW Search with BW Repository and it will highlight the search result in the tree:
- Use BW Search to find inactive objects (either Search -> Search or via the Search Icon):
- Input Help by pressing STRG+SPACE for Search fields (possible whenever the “lamp” is shown next to the field):
- Open the History View (to see and restore previous versions, e.g. to switch from active to delivered versions
- By double click on the table entry you can open e.g. the “active” version and compare the differences
- Save the view of a perspective, this will save how you configured and positioned the different panels
- Resetting a perspecitve will restore the default layout of the perspective:
- Attach HANA System to link the BW and HANA repository. This will e.g. allow you to search and add HANA Views in a CompositeProvider
- Helpful shortcuts when working in eclipse
|Refresh active editor||F5|
|Save object||CTRL + S|
|Undo last change||CTRL + Z|
|Apply last change again||CTRL + Y|
|Create new object||CTRL + N|
|Search for BW object||CTRL + H|
|Open BW object||CTRL + Shift + D|
|Close Editor||CTRL + W|
|Check selected BW object||CTRL + F2|
|Switch between open editors||ALT + Left-Arrow|
Love it !! Specially the feature for creating a stand alone window for a tab....
For native HANA modeling and development the trend is away from the HANA Studio and towards the Web IDE. Are there similar plans for BW on HANA?
SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA will comprises capabilities of SAP HANA Studio (e.g. Developer Perspective) and SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench. The BWMT are Eclipse based and will further be the strategic modeling environment for SAP BW.
Modelling objects of BW and HANA modelling are fully compatible with each other.
dear Marc or colleagues,
is there an option in place to install just the "query designing" capabilities of the BWMT or even a standalone version planned (for customers which have separate teams for backend and query development)?
Thanks in advance and best regards
Hi Marc Hartz,
Nice Blog. Do you have any idea as where in BW Modeling tool, we could see the SAPGuiServer.exe path has been mentioned ?
After you search on an object like a datasource, is there a way to locate the object in the tree? Is there away to see the dataflow when you right click on an object?
I am new to this BWMT interface. So far, I found the old RSA1 is so much more powerful. This looks like a half baked product. All gimmick, no substance.
> After you search on an object like a datasource, is there a way to locate the object in the tree?
I have the same question. Nobody has an idea?
You can use "Link with editor" switch:
It makes navigation tree and opened object linked to each other.
Why it is not possible to get rid of BW-MT tools from Eclipse and have it as an extension in BTP or webIDE ?
Do you know any way to re-size image components in data flow?
I would like to re-size some boxes in Data Flow in order to get the complete text description (Treasury IHC Positions).
Test Data Flow