SAP HANA SPS 11 What’s New: HA/DR – by the SAP HANA Academy
In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 11.
The topic of this blog is High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HA/DR).
Continuous Log Replay
Continuous log replay is a new mode for data replication. It significantly reduces network traffic and also reduces take-over time, when we switch form the primary to the secondary node. You configure continue log replay (as alternative to delta data shipping) when configuring the secondary site.
Storage snaphost as backup to initialise system replication is now supported. Previously only data backups could be used. Using snapshots will be a time saver.
Proxy Schemas and Views
When system replication is activated on the secondary host, a proxy schema with monitoring views is populated with name _SYS_SR_SITE_<site_name>. SQL access to this schema can be used by monitoring tools to report on replication status. The schema is dropped again when the site is unregistered.
A new hook has been added to the HA/DR provider: srConnectionChanged. These hooks can be used in host auto-failover and system replication takeover scripting, for example to switch virtual IP addresses, starting tools and applications on certain hosts after failover, or even stopping DEV or QA SAP HANA instances on secondary sites before takeover.
- High Availability and Disaster Recovery (New and Changed) – What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Li…
- System Replication with Operation Mode Logreplay – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- System Replication Command Line Reference – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Monitoring Secondary Sites – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Hook Methods – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Install and Configure a HA/DR Provider Script – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- 2165547 – FAQ: SAP HANA Database Backup & Recovery in an SAP HANA System Replication Landscape
- 2063657 – HANA System Replication takeover decision guideline
Thank you for watching
You can view more free online videos and hands-on use cases to help you answer the What, How and Why questions about SAP HANA and the SAP HANA Cloud Platform on the SAP HANA Academy at youtube.com/saphanaacademy.
Follow us on Twitter @saphanaacademy
Connect with us on LinkedIn