In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 11.
The topic of this blog is installation and update.
New in SPS 11 is an optimised update of the SAP HANA system when installing multiple options to reduce the number of restarts and system downtime. Support components are Accelerator for SAP ASE, Remote Data Sync, and Smart Data Streaming – when updated together with the SAP HANA server. In the past, update was sequential and comprised several SAP HANA restarts. Now this is performed in one go; so the system is only restarted once. This significantly reduces downtime for those type of installations.
SAP HANA extended application services, advanced model
SAP HANA extended application services, advanced model, is installed just like any other SAP HANA component using the Platform Lifecycle Management tool, hdblcm. When you include the component in the selection using either the graphical or command line tool, the XS advanced runtime will be automatically installed.
Several new hdblcm parameters have been added to support the installation of this component.
Supported Operating Systems for SAP HANA database
SAP HANA is available for:
- Intel-based hardware platforms
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (SP2 and higher) and 12
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.x
- IBM Power Systems (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4)
SAP HANA SPS 11 server installation requires the GCC compiler to be at level 4.8 or higher. This compiler version is included with the latest OS updates, except for the SLES 11 SP2 and SP3, which require manual patching (or upgrade to SP4).
For details, see notes:
- 2235581 – SAP HANA: Supported Operating Systems
- 1944799 – SAP HANA Guidelines for SLES Operating System Installation
- 2009879 – SAP HANA Guidelines for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Operating System
- 2228351 – Linux: SAP HANA Database SPS 11 revision 110 (or higher) on RHEL 6 or SLES 11
- 2250138 – SLES 11 SP1 not supported for SAP HANA revision 110 and higher
- 2055470 – HANA on POWER Planning and Installation Specifics – Central Note
The SAP HANA Installation and Update Guide has been updated for the above-mentioned topics but also has been improved for readability. For example, the SAP HANA system properties are now listed in a separate table and no longer in each installation and update paragraph (installation with command line, with GUI, update with web, etc.).
SAP HANA studio for the Mac
As of SPS 11, SAP HANA studio is now supported on Microsoft Windows, Linux (Suse and Red Hat), and Mac OS X.
SAP HANA studio for Mac OS X has been available since later SPS 10 revisions (revision 103). However, as of SPS 11 it is now installed as Mac OS application in Applications and not in the user home directory.
For the most current information about supported operating systems for client and database, see the product availability matrix, or PAM, on http://support.sap.com/pam.
For more information see:
- What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes) – SAP Library
- Perform an Optimized Update – SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide – SAP Library
- Installing XS Advanced Runtime
Thank you for watching
You can view more free online videos and hands-on use cases to help you answer the What, How and Why questions about SAP HANA and the SAP HANA Cloud Platform on the SAP HANA Academy at youtube.com/saphanaacademy.
Follow us on Twitter @saphanaacademy
Connect with us on http://linkedin.com/in/saphanaacademy