Enhancement (SAP BPC on HANA) to Enable Business Process, Improve Data Load & Integration Performance. (Part-1)
1. Back Ground:
Our project has made a transition from BPC on BW to BPC on Hana. Our SAP software components and versions are BPC 10.0 SP6 BW 7.4 SP 6 HANA 1.0 SP6.
Our client is a financial investment leader having businesses in 30+ countries and having data warehouse catering the business in 20+ Currencies. We have a solution standing on a foundation of account based consolidation on monthly basis.
2. Area of Improvement:
Currently the data from the downstream is feed to the corporate EDW on monthly. During the month end people have to work extended hours. Month end consolidation process having 5 data flows. Taking one into example “Business Earnings-Data flow#1 (DF#1)”. The DF#1 has 20 steps for completing the data feed to BPC.
- 5-Steps to Extract the data from Source System (SAP + Legacy Systems)
- 5-Steps to validate/review/approve data in Legacy Reporting platform
- 5-Steps to formulate and re align the changes (S.No-2) to corporate EDW w.r.t SAP account numbers.
- 5-Steps to promote the data to BPC models from S.no-3 (Transformation, DTP and BPC MAPPING).
3. Root Cause:
- Our project BPC solution to 5 Years old (starting from BPC 7.5)
- The business transformation is in progressive mode and currently only 60% of the business transactions are SAP account based. 40% accounts are non-SAP based. So system & Designed process) is consuming 10 steps (S.no-2 & 3) to align the accounts.
- Decided to design an simple process
4. Current architecture
- Real time consumption of data from Legacy system.
- Eliminate the manual operations.
- Align the legacy account numbers and data on real time.
- Introduce Open ODS View into the data flow.
- Documents followed & Very useful
6. New Architecture
- Integrated legacy system in real time.
- Eliminated latency between corporate reporting and local / geo reporting.
- Now steps in data flow are reduced by 50%
- No month end activates as the data from Legacy is replicated in real time.
Note: OOV (Open Ods View)- The technical details of OOV I’ll share in my future doc here.