SAP Mentors – Making a Difference at SAP TechEd Las Vegas 2015
What happens when 68 top influencers from SAP’s ecosystem converge at one of the most engaging technology events, and in one of the most exciting cities in the world? Magic!
Described as “the best of the best” by Dennis Howlett of diginomica, the SAP Mentors and Mentor Alumni left a large footprint at SAP TechEd in Las Vegas by sharing their knowledge, providing feedback to keep SAP relevant, and engaging with conference attendees at every opportunity.
Photos: Martin Lang, Christian Braukmuller
Here are some highlights:
- Pre-conference Q&A sessions with Bernd Leukert and Sam Yen, as well as Nayaki Nayyar, set the tone (open and honest conversations) for meetings with SAP executives throughout the week.
- Steve Lucas called it the “SAP Mentors fish bowl.” Indeed, the SAP Mentors meeting room on the TechEd show floor held daily Open Houses, and was the place to be!
- Surrounded by glass for full transparency, and yet private enough for confidential discussions, the Mentors fish bowl also hosted Helen Arnold, Andreas Heckmann, Sven Denecken, Elvira Wallis, Bjoern Goerke, Clemens Praendl and SAP Analytics leads, Todd Friedman, Irfan Khan, Prakash Darji, and Bernd Welz. (Check out Simon Kemp’s blog: Fish Bowl Session with Sam Yen)
- SAP Mentors and Alumni were visible throughout the event. Some examples include John Appleby’s now regular appearance on the keynote stage, Phil Loewen coaching at InnoJam, Tammy Powlas and Jamie Oswald judging the Lumira Data Genius Viz-a-thon event, and Karin Tillotson’s sharing her experience in the Women in Technology event.
- SAP Mentors presented at ASUG sessions as well Announcing ASUG SAP Mentor Sessions at SAP TechEd Las Vegas
- SAP Mentor Ingo Hilgefort provided a sold-out ASUG pre-conference session on SAP Design Studio at SAP TechEd Las Vegas
- Moya Watson managed 10 successful community sessions at SAP TechEd Las Vegas
- Gretchen Lindquist and Tammy Powlas served on the ASUG SAP TechEd Design team for Las Vegas
- The personal invitation by Mentors to attend SAP TechEd was a nice touch! Why stop there? Let’s have some fun with limited edition #CatchaMentor missions!
- In total, SAP Mentors conducted 10 TechEd Live Interviews, and contributed 244 session hours, including hands-on workshops, lecture sessions, and networking sessions.
- SAP Mentors love sharing knowledge, and music! The “Fiori Rocks” Mentor Jam Band drew the biggest crowd ever! Thanks to our guitarist and band producer Sam Yen for sponsoring, band leader Matt Harding, and band manager Mariza Farales!
- More insights from TechEd: Jelena Perfiljeva’s personal recount of TechEd Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4 Tammy Powlas Outside the Lines. Or check out Dennis Howlett and Jon Reed’s wrap up (including the nice developer’s perspective interview with Graham Robinson). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsx6KU4DgU0
I’d like to thank the SAP TechEd team of Maria Squicciarini, Tammy McGraw, Dianna DiSanto, Jason Lax, Helena Losada and Erin Feldt; SAP Mentors Topic Leads Dick Hirsch, Martin Lang, Georg Glantschnig, Chris Paine, John Astill, Jelena Perfiljeva, Chris Kernaghan, Owen Pettiford, Phil Loewen, Derek Loranca, Tammy Powlas, Jamie Oswald, Joseph Zeinoun, Matt Harding, Bruno Lucatelli, Simon Kemp, Jocelyn Dart, and James Wood; and the SAP Mentors Program team: Maria Farrales, Katarina Fischer, William Laverde and Charrele Robinson-Brown.
Let’s continue to make a difference at SAP TechEd Barcelona. See you there!
I'm publishing this note I sent out to SAP Mentors after SAP TechEd 2015 Las Vegas. (Thanks to Mentors who encouraged me to share this more publicly. 🙂 )
I hope you'll agree that SAP Mentors are making a big difference to our community on a daily basis, not just at events like SAP TechEd. This was a successful event in Las Vegas, and I hope to share some highlights of Mentors at SAP TechEd Barcelona shortly.