Architecture Of S/4 HANA vs ERP
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to write one more blog on S/4 HANA.
In this blog I would like to describe the components of S/4 HANA and differences with SAP ERP.
See History of SAP S/4 HANA evolution as below.
Architecture of S/4 HANA Vs SAP ERP.
- What is S/4 HANA, is it completely new product of SAP? The answer is NO. S/4 HANA is SAP Business Suite 4 SAP HANA like R/2 and R/3 with new code line.
- So many of us have in mind that what is future of ABAP programming language. Good news for all ABAPers is that “S/4 HANA is also on ABAP platform only.”
- Another good news for which most of our customers waiting since long time is all SAP non ECC Business applications(EWM,TM,APO..etc) moving back to SAP ERP core(Described in my blog Future Options for SAP Landscape). This means reducing number of servers requirement, middleware requirement.
- S/4 HANA is simplified data model. Reduced data foot print with highly compressed data and less tables. See below Data foot print reduction with S/4 HANA .
- Reduced ¾ of objects from application layer in S/4 HANA compared to ERP .
- Semantic data structure with Core data services and New SAP Fiori UX for any device (mobile, desktop, tablet) is out of box with S/4 HANA.
Very good thanks!
Easy to understand...Keep post..
Nice Blog Kiran,Thank you for sharing 🙂
Will S/4 HANA (still) be using all 3 of these 'View flavors' ?
If yes on all 3, will any of these 3 become the preferred one?
I do not know the current state in 1511 (I would guess it is a mix of HANA Live and ABAP CDS). But to the best of my knowledge, the goal is to use ABAP CDS for the VDMs. So ABAP CDS is the future direction, but HANA Live will certainly be there for some time
HANA CDS should not be of relevance for the S/4 Core. For HANA Native development (XS, XSA) they will still remain in place
Nice info.. Thanks,
Still a great post! Thank you!
And for those looking for Kiran's post on 'Future Options', it's here:
Future Options for SAP Landscape
This blog was written a long time ago in the context of the HANA software lifecycle.
The line "What is S/4 HANA, is it completely new product of SAP? The answer is NO. S/4 HANA is SAP Business Suite 4 SAP HANA like R/2 and R/3 with new code line." is no longer valid.
SAP have quite clearly stated that S/4HANA is a new product line not related to SAP Business Suite.
Great article. Very well explained. Thanks for the share. kodi
I liked the simplicity and to the point description. Thanks.
well explained in simple terminology. Keep posting