Validate data in Table Maintenance Generator event
The TMG event 01: Before Save., can be used instead of going for event 05: New Entry if you have validation process to do.
The problem with event 05 is that, control goes into the include/form only on the newly created entries. So, if you have you had to change any existing data, the control will not pass through the validation code !!
Here is a piece of code that you can use for your development purpose.
- <action> is a flag that will have values as ‘N’ if a new entry is made or as ‘U’ if existing entry is modified.
- <vim_total_struc> is a structure that holds the current looped value on TOTAL table.
- it_total_zdata, internal table should be of type table z-table.
LOOP AT total.
IF <action> EQ ‘N’ OR <action> EQ ‘U’.
APPEND <vim_total_struc> TO it_total_zdata.
IF it_total_zdata IS NOT INITIAL.
* Perform validation
LOOP AT it_total_zdata.
IF it_total_zdata-name NE ‘TESTNAME’.
MESSAGE ‘Name is not TESTNAME’ TYPE ‘S’ DISPLAY LIKE ‘E’.
vim_abort_saving = c_abrt_save.
sy–subrc = 4.
IMPORTANT POINTS !!
- Message should be of type ‘S’. If not, the screen returns to SM30, which looks bad !! Make sure its displayed either as ‘Error’ or ‘Warning’.
- vim_abort_saving has to be set to ‘X’ to avoid data being saved. (Since the message popped is of type ‘S’, control proceeds further!!)
- Set sy-subrc as ‘4’ which stops further processing.
The above points are mandatory, if you want a message to be popped and wrong data still to be seen giving an opportunity to the user to rectify.