Validate data in Table Maintenance Generator event
The TMG event 01: Before Save., can be used instead of going for event 05: New Entry if you have validation process to do.
The problem with event 05 is that, control goes into the include/form only on the newly created entries. So, if you have you had to change any existing data, the control will not pass through the validation code !!
Here is a piece of code that you can use for your development purpose.
- <action> is a flag that will have values as ‘N’ if a new entry is made or as ‘U’ if existing entry is modified.
- <vim_total_struc> is a structure that holds the current looped value on TOTAL table.
- it_total_zdata, internal table should be of type table z-table.
LOOP AT total.
IF <action> EQ ‘N’ OR <action> EQ ‘U’.
APPEND <vim_total_struc> TO it_total_zdata.
IF it_total_zdata IS NOT INITIAL.
* Perform validation
LOOP AT it_total_zdata.
IF it_total_zdata-name NE ‘TESTNAME’.
MESSAGE ‘Name is not TESTNAME’ TYPE ‘S’ DISPLAY LIKE ‘E’.
vim_abort_saving = c_abrt_save.
sy–subrc = 4.
IMPORTANT POINTS !!
- Message should be of type ‘S’. If not, the screen returns to SM30, which looks bad !! Make sure its displayed either as ‘Error’ or ‘Warning’.
- vim_abort_saving has to be set to ‘X’ to avoid data being saved. (Since the message popped is of type ‘S’, control proceeds further!!)
- Set sy-subrc as ‘4’ which stops further processing.
The above points are mandatory, if you want a message to be popped and wrong data still to be seen giving an opportunity to the user to rectify.
Thanks Gilbert 🙂
Özgün, You're welcome 🙂
Great post!! Short and precise!
I was looking for info and found a lot of forum posts, but some of them proposed modify the pai of the auto generated dynpro or create a program to call a fm that opened the table (like sm30).
Your post was key to my success, especially the vim_abort_save and the issue with total and the field symbol of the structure.
I didn't fill the z internal table, but passed the field symbol in the loop to a structure like my z table and right there I did the validations
Thanks a lot!
Thanks! Hope it could help 🙂
How about using domains and foreign keys to validate your entry ?
Thanks a lot!!! your suggestion is worked for me 🙂
Thank you very much!! I was wondering how to implement this kind of validations. It's works great!
Hi, thanks for your post. However, when I implemented the above code, it's displaying the error message but still saving the invalid entry. Are you able to advise on how to avoid saving the invalid entry ?
Thank you Kiran.
I think I have been looking for this code from ever since I remember.
Thank you very much.