SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.40 SP8 – Developer Edition to Download: Consise Installation Instruction
For general information, download link, operating system and hardware requirements see the introduction page.
Installation Instructions and First Steps
Network configuration of the SAP host operating system: The officially supported setup requires a static IP address for the hostname used for the SAP installation. Using DHCP is possible for this testdrive version, but be aware of potential consequences. If our installation cannot ping the hostname specified when installing, the installation and startup of the SAP system will fail. Make sure that the hostname specified during installation fulfills SAP requirements, most importantly it cannot exceed 13 characters length and also needs to survive subsequent reboots.
Firewall: it may be necessary to deactivate the firewall.
Additional software requirements
Following software packages are required:
- csh – Ubuntu and Debian require to install csh before you start the ABAP installation
- libaio – SAP Sybase ASE requires the libaio library to start the installation
- 32bit libraries – SAP Management Console (SAPMC) requires 32bit libraries (ia32, glibc.i686) for ASE related functionalities
- libuuid – SAP AS ABAP requires the OS to run libuuid service to ensure the uniqueness of GUIDs. The service not running, you will be greeted by a short dump after login – but you can continue working on your own risk
- English – SAP AS ABAP requires that you configure English (LANG=en_US.UTF-8) as the operating system language
Login with your preferred user. You need to have the password of the root user at hand, as the installation needs root privileges. Ensure that the additional software requirements are met.
Make the extracted download archive available on the server. Go into the root directory of the extracted archive. We provide you with several installation options:
- ./install.sh – installs the Developer Edition in dark mode, the installer will configure the SAP system for usage of the physical hostname
- ./install.sh -g – will present you a SAPINST GUI allowing to modify certain system parameters
- ./install.sh -h <own hostname> – allows you to specify your own hostname to be used by the SAP system
- ./install.sh -s – allows you to skip the hostname check
All options prompt you for a master password. Please ensure that the password length exceeds 7 characters, contains capital letters and digits but does not contain special characters. The installation starts the database and server.
The installation will take a while (about 20 minutes – take a break).
Client installation (optional)
If you have already a SAP GUI installation you can connect to your sytem. If not go ahead now with the client installation. SAP GUI space in SDN SAP GUI | SCN leads you to more documentation around SAP GUI for Java Environment, requirements for the SAP GUI for Java include Sun Java SE 6 32-bit or 64-bit, a properly installed Java Plugin and C++ runtime libstdc++.so.6.
ABAP Plugins for Eclipse
Go to the SCN space ABAP in Eclipse where you will find download links and tutorials.
Post installation steps
Some profile parameters have to be adapted:
- icm/host_name_full = $(SAPLOCALHOST).dummy.nodomain
- PHYS_MEMSIZE = 30%
Log on to the system as user SAP* with default password DidNPLpw2014 and use transaction SLICENSE (transaction code slicense) to determine your hardware key.
Request the license key for your test drive at SAP Sneak Preview License Key Request . Enter your credentials and select NPL – SAP NetWeaver 7.x (Sybase ASE) as System ID. Enter your hardware key and submit the request. You will receive an e-mail with the license file attached.
Go to transaction slicense and install the license file. They system type changes Demo. You can now explore the demo scenarios and develop using the ABAP tools in Eclipse and new features like the core data services or SAPUI5 UIs.
Administration of the application server ABAP
Starting and stopping the server
With the user npladm you can start and stop the server using the terminal commands startsap and stopsap respectively or the newer sap control commands.
SAP Management Console (SAPMC)
Assuming that your server is configured to run Java applets and that the NPL server host is reachable from your OS, enter http://<NPL server host name>:50013 to start the tool. SAPMC allows you to start, stop and analyse the SAP system and it’s components with great ease of use, remote and/or locally. For your convenience, in the client/Misc subdirectory, we also provide the SAPMMC installation package and a template script for calling SAPMC standalone. See SAP MMC Snap-In for more information on how to use SAPMMC on a Windows system. SAPMC standalone requires that you have installed a recent Java SDK.
Directories and Users
The installation creates following directories and users.
|/sapmnt||~ 2 GB|
|/sybase||~ 50 GB|
|/usr/sap||~ 3 GB|
Created Users on OS level
The installation creates following users on OS level. During the installation you are prompted to enter the master password.
|sapadm||master password||Created by SAP hostagent|
|npladm||master password||SAP System Administrator|
|sybnpl||master password||SAP Database Administrator|
The installed system disposes of the following database users:
|SAPSR3||DidNPLpw2014||SAP Schema User|
The installed system disposes of the following SAP users in client 001:
|DDIC||DidNPLpw2014||Data Dictionary User|
If you ever want to uninstall your server, you can do it as follows:
- Delete the created directories
- Delete the OS users
- Delete the added lines in /etc/services (should be the last lines beginning with sap* and sql6* respectively)
- Delete the line containing nplhost in /etc/hosts
- Delete the symbolic link S99_nplhost.sh in the directory /etc/init.d/rc3.d in case of SUSE or /etc/rc3.d in case of Red Hat
- Restart your network
We encourage you to visit our SCN ABAP community.
In case of Linux problems read the Linux FAQ.
Post your comments to the introduction page.