When you are executing Software Provisioning Manager tool or if you manually run sapcontrol command, you can face an issue like below:
Execution of the command “/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/sapcontrol -nr 00 -host abcde -function GetInstanceProperties” finished with return code 1. Output:
FAIL: NIECONN_REFUSED (Connection timed out), NiRawConnect failed in plugin_fopen()
Usually, this issue happens because sapstartsrv is not properly running. Below, you can see some steps to follow in order to solve this issue:
- Make sure /usr/sap/sapservices does exist on your system. If not, please follow as described in SAP note below:
823941 – SAP start service on Unix platforms
- Run command ps -ef | grep sapstartsrv and check if the the service is running for the instance. sapstartsrv must be pointing to the start or instance profile (according to the profile configuration of your system);
- If it is running, then manually kill the process;
- Make sure the sapstartsrv is properly working by running the command sapstartsrv -h as <sid>adm from kernel directory. If it returns all options from help, it means sapstartsrv command is working. Otherwise, it means it has issues and you must patch your kernel.
- If sapstartsrv is properly working, manually run the command above as <sid>adm from kernel directory:
./sapstartsrv pf=/sapmnt/<SID>/profile/<start or instance profile> -D
- After that, run the command below and check if the issue still persists:
/usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr <inst number> -function GetInstanceProperties
- Does the NIECONN_REFUSED error remains? If so, then make sure all hosts are properly set in the /etc/host file.
- If no error returns, it means the issue is not occurring any more and you will be able to continue the installer.