Learning’s from APO DP implementations
MY Learning’s from APO DP implementations
1. Characteristics and Key Figure Identifications – Be very careful while identifying the KF and Char. KF can be added at a latter stage but Char cannot be added once Planning Area is LIVE. Notes cannot be written at attribute level. Forecast profiles cannot be saved interactively at attribute level.
***Frequently changing Char should be marked as attributes.
***Attributes can still be added at a latter stage
2. Key Figures are of 2 types – those which store data and those which cannot store data.
Identify which KF are actually needed and which are just there for calculation purposes
3. Storage Bucket Profile –
Many times you may feel that you need only fiscal periods / Weeks, but it is a good idea to also mark calendar weeks as bucket. The reason is that calendar weeks are compatible with ECC and do not create issues while forecast transfer.
4. In MPOS add the Product and location char in the “Extras” tab if standard Char are not used. Useful during Lifecycle management.
5. Planning Area – Consider the following situation
Planning area in quality system and is active. Now if you make any changes to the planning area in Development server, then remember to deactivate the planning area in Quality before importing it from development. If this is not done, it causes inconsistencies.
6. For Forecasting, I suggest that we should always use Correct Stat forecast KF along with Corrected History Key Figure.
7. MC62 transaction does not look at MATLOC data but only at MAT1 data while creating CVC. So if you have the product global data but no location specific data then too CVC are created.This can be overcome by a BADl that SAP have provided.
8. Forecast transfer via infocube is pretty much possible, with only care that packet size is not huge.(< 200,000 rec per transfer). Kindly note forecast transfer is not possible if the Calendars are different in APO and ECC
9. Calendars should not be changed in ECC and transferred to APO once APO is Live in production system. This can result into potential loss of data.
10. Approach to identify the correct forecasting strategy is a must and for that most of the consultants take the trial and error basis. This approach takes too much time and planners end up using AUTO MODEL 2 as a default model for forecasting. Please remember that forecasting is ever evolving process and should not be limited to one model identified during implementation, but should be revisited atleast once every quarter.
11. Collaborative forecasting is possible but with restricted usage of planning book (Stat forecasting is not possible, etc).
12. Virtual Info provider or Backup infocube is a must in any implementation.
These are few Learnings from my APO DP experience!!