Windows “In-Place” upgrade from 2003 to 2008 Server for SAP System
Upgrade SAP System OS from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008:
I have upgraded OS of a SAP System 7.0 ABAP stack system based on Windows 2003 Standard Server x64 edition to Windows 2008 Standard server x64 edition on “In Place upgrade” process. I have also upgraded Windows OS from 2003 to Windows 2008 of a SAP Enterprise Portal 7.3 version following same process.
Here is an existing SAP system 7.0 based on Windows 2003 Server x64 Edition.
Here are steps I have followed and it has worked for me. I have upgraded 8 SAP systems with following approach and developer have tested it.
- Read SAP Note 1494740 – SAP System Migration from Older Windows Releases to Newer Ones.
- Take a backup of database / vmware image backup.
- Shutdown SAP system & oracle database.
- Shutdown all SAP & Oracle services and disable it. (This will prevent to start service during OS upgrade).
- Take backup of “services” file from c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.
- Rename current machine as _old.
- Pending available C drive space either clone machine or convert to add more space.
- Attached ISO and proceed with upgrade to Server 08.
- Once complete may have to reset IP address and set proper Vlan assignment
- Delete _old image once verified upgrade is working.
- Restore original “services” file.
- Change all disabled services to enable and start it.
- Open MMC and start SAP.
- Login and use transaction SM28, SM21 etc. to check SAP System.