Target of this blog is to describe the different options to supply production components and how they interact with each other.
In many production processes the components required to fulfill a production order are normally stored in a central warehouse and first need to be brought to the production area in a separate step before production can be executed.
SAP Business ByDesign supports this replenishment process in the following ways:
1. Do add-ho goods movements from warehouse to production (not considered any further here)
2. Do periodic replenishment based on a replenishment run
3. Do ad-hoc replenishment for a dedicated production supply area
4. Use supply-to production operation modelled in a bill of operations (BOO)
5. Use replenishment with reference to a dedicated production order.
Since the different options are documented in detail I will focus on how they work together.
For this I created a bill of material for a finished product with three components together with a bill of operation containing a supply operation (setting the check box ‘Supply to Production’).
In the corresponding production model I then assigned the three BOM components to the production operation, but only checked ‘Supply to Production’ for ‘Component 01’:
As a next step I maintained the location layout in the following way:
1. In the production logistics area, where the production resources are located I maintain a fixed production supply area.
2. For the production supply area P1100-30-10 I maintained a replenishment rule for product ‘Component 02’. Of course you could also use other paramters when defining the rules.
To see the effect on replenishment I now did a replenishment with reference for a dedicated production order. The result is as follows:
For component 1, not replenishment is proposed, because replenishment for this component is done via the supply task.
For component 2 a replenishment quantity ‘0 ea‘ is proposed, because system has checked the replenishment rules and found, that replenishment should be done based on these rules (either by replenishment run or by triggering replenishment manually for the production supply logistics area).
As a consequence only for component 03 a replenishment quantity of 3 ea is proposed.
Hope this helps to understand how the different replenishment options can be used together.