The intension of this document is to give basic understanding of Scope and Effort Analyzer, so one can start SEA run comfortably.
Scope and Effort Analyzer is an innovative tool of SAP Solution Manager, available from 7.1 SP11, and it is very useful and beneficial for those SAP organizations who is looking to reduce the costs and efforts associated with major Maintenance or Enhancement Package (EHP) upgrade projects.
The key differentiator for SEA (Scope and Effort Analyzer) is that, it can predict the two major cost and effort drivers of maintenance project – “1. Development Managment and 2. Test Management” at the planning phase without physical EHP/SP installation.
- Identification of affected custom code and object modification adjustment. This is very important feature as software update may include update or deletion of SAP standard objects.
- Reducing the amount of test redundancy by identifying only those processes which are affected by chnage event and need to be tested.
- Detailed effort estimation for custom code, modification adjustments and testing scope.
Automating change impact analysis and test scope identification before application of the Maintenance and EHP will significantly reduce the project planning and test execution phases of your project.
How SEA work
The solution manager is send the information of system and planned SP/EHP, entered by the user to SAP. SAP calculates SAP Objects (TBOM)
for enhancement pack and send back to Solution Manager. Solution Manager offers the impact analysis, effort calculation, test scope and effort optimization.
Preparation Of Scope and Effort Analyzer
One can start SEA by following these steps:
1. Finalize your scope for SEA
- Finalize your maintenance events such as SPs or EHP deployments. Identify the involved managed system for which SEA calculates the development and test effort.
- Base on this decision choose the system role for SEA run.
The different system Roles are as:
Role 1: Custom development and modification analysis
It is recommended to use your production system for this system role. This will ensures that only those custom developments are considered which are actually deployed to production. If you wish to extend the analysis also to project work or new development which is not yet released to production, you can choose other systems, such as a development system.
It is possible to run two SEA analysis – one with the development system and the second run with the production system as source system for custom code and then compare both results.
Role 2: Read usage statistic:
You can select the Production system for this role as only here actual usage information exist.
Role 3: Test scope optimization activities:
Recommendation is to consider your Quality system here which is on the identical SP level as the production system. Reason for selecting quality system is the TBOM. These TBOMs will be generated during the SEA run for this selected system which is generate significant load.
2. Complete Pre-requisite
- Install or upgrade your solution manager 7.1system up to the level SP11. Ensure component ST-BCO 7xx SP10 is available.
- Complete basic configuration like System preparation, Basic Configuration and Managed System Preparation for all require Managed System.
- The latest version of SAP Solution Manager Central Correction Note (CCN) shall be implemented. E.g. in case of SP11 the SAP note is 1933506, for SP12 it is 1969109 and for SP13 it is 2048215.
- Get all require authorization.
- Maintain all managed system properly in LMDB.
- Maintenance Optimizer setup.
- Maintain Valid S-User ID for the ID use in SEA run.
- The latest available version of the ST-PI component should be implemented (at least 2008_1_x SP 9)
SEA is extensively using usage analysis for UPL. With help of Usage and Procedure Logging technique it is now possible to calculate the
impact to custom code, modifications and business processes in consideration of the real system usage. Make sure that all productive systems you intend to
analyze fulfill the technical prerequisites for Usage and Procedure Logging (UPL) activation. Please refer SAP Note 1828848 – Usage and Procedure Logging: Technical prerequisite and 1955847 – UPL: Activation Procedure and Authorization Handling in SAP Solution Manager (SP5 – SP11)
You can also refer https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000427102012E and http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-60682
Please note that Scope and Effort Analyzer can be used in absence of UPL data too, but with limitations based on the missing usage information. Without UPL data it is not possible to get the used or unused custom code objects and modifications. And it is also not possible to calculate savings by adjusting only used
Please note that without UPL data, it is not possible to generate semi-dynamic TBOMs. In this case only static TBOMs can be generated. Static TBOMs might be less effective compare to semi-dynamic TBOMs.
3. SEA Set up
Run SOLMAN_SETUP configuration step.
Custom Code Management (Steps 1 – 6 mandatory for SEA). This setup procedure activates UPL and custom code data collection. You can refer SAP note 1906451: Technical Preparation for Custom Code Management.
Kindly refer this link for SEA How to guide. http://support.sap.com/content/dam/library/SAP%20Support%20Portal/support-programs-services/solution-manager/processes/Media%20Library/Test%20Management/HowToSEA.pdf
4. Check and Ensure your set up
Once you complete the all set up it is very important to know whether all set up done correctly without any issue and your all systems are ready now for SEA run. Please use below report to ensure your set up.
Run report AGS_BPCA_SELF_CHECK in SAP Solution Manager to verify the TBOM authorizations and UPL set up validation.
Check-Report for Custom Code Infrastructure. Use SAP Note 2077995
Ensure below jobs are completed in your Managed system without any error.
Check and if necessary activate the ICF Services as described in SAP Note 1983399. Call transaction SICF and search for the following services:
5. Data colletion Run
Once your UPL is active, it is recommended to collect at least 3 month data before you start SEA Run. In exception you can start work with at least 4 week data. The intension here to collect maximum usage information of your managed system including some time specific actions like monthly, quarterly or yearly activities.
6. Run Scope and Effort Analyzer
Call transaction code SOLMAN_WORKCENTER and Select WorkCentre then Implementation / Upgrade – Plan – Create or view Scope and Effort Analysis. This will open the main screen of Scope and Effort Analyzer. Complete all steps of Guided procedure, user help documentation available for each Step of the Guided Procedure.
Kindly refer How to Guide document for detail.
Some important points:
- Once you select your require system (as per described in first point “Finalize scope of SEA) in specify additional system, please do “Perform checks”. This will ensure the fulfillment of all prerequisites of each selected system,
- For business blue print selection session it is recommended to select the option Create a Project and Business Blueprint for executables not covered or in case if you have existing blueprint for the project use combine approach. After SEA run new project will be created automatically, which will contain modular base business blue print and the Custom developed executables are detected as well and assigned under a special blueprint node “CUSTOMER – Customer Executables” and structured by development classes, in case they are available.
- Under Test Scope_test scope optimization_Test Case Recommendation for creating Test Cases you can specify the limit – up to which, test coverage percentage for automated tests can be considered. These values can be changed in the analysis result view later.
- From “Continue Target system definition” you will reach at Maintenance Optimizer. Here perform up to the 3rd step – download files.
- Start analysis from Work Center in SAP Solution Manager. You can track status of background jobs in SAP Solution Manager system.
The background processing can take up to several days depending on the amount of data to be analyzed and collected (for example to read and analyze the impact to custom code objects or to generate the semi-dynamic TBOMs). SEA does provide a processing log to monitor the progress of the background tasks.
Once all background jobs are finish the analysis result report is available for collection and further project related usage.
Here are some important list of notes, which you can consider if you are facing any issue in Analysis run.
2053406 ST-PI Version/Level to low
1981662 Error in Scope and Effort Analyzer
2080645 In Scope and Effort Analyzer, the TBOM generation is failing with an exception ‘Control Framework: Fatal error – GUI cannot be reached’
2087046 Error displaying Test Coverage values in the analysis settings
2064567 SEA Functions “Process Modifications” and “Process References” fail
2030349 SEA Check “Check ST-PI version in custom code system” fails although ST-PI version is sufficient
1983433 SEA Function “Get SAP References Results” – Issues
1997185 SEA Function “Get Custom Code & Modification Results” stores inactive modifications.
SEA Result Analysis
Once your analysis is ready, you can view the result. Please note that all result are based on the average value we set. Depends upon your experience you can change the average value and get the new result.
Please use below link to get the detail document related to SEA result analysis.
Here are some important area of SEA results,
Development and Unit test Effort for your Custom development and modifiction for which adjustment is require. And here also you will get Regression test effort.
Modifications and Custome Codes
Here you can have the Development and Unit test Effort for your impacted Custom development and Modifictions for which adjustment require.
You can also get the details of Modification and Custom development.
This will provide you the number of test cases requie to be test with TSO (Test Scope Optimization) and also Test effort with Test Scope Optimization.
Identification of impacted Business Process Scenarios, Processes and Steps.
Test Scope and Effort with TSO – Full Scope versus Custom Code and Modifications
In Test Case Recommendations you will get recommendation for the creation of missing test cases ( either manual or automated test case ) and you also get recommendation of replacing existing manual test case with automated test case. Then you can have the Test case creation and execution efforts accordingly.
In Test Case Optomization ranking by setting ranking you can optimize your test coverage.
You can also get the Business Process Hierarchy wise test effort distribution (manual, automated)
You can generate or update your test plan from the result.
Updated SAP Objects
Here you will get the Changed SAP Objects distribution list by Application Component wise and Object type wise