At the NCPBUG conference this year, at the end of one of the sessions, I believe it was Bruce that talked about getting active in the PowerBuilder section of SCN. Prior to the event, I had visited SCN, but never added any content… I needed answers, they turned up in a Google search, and I left when I was done. However, the comment stuck with me (and the other programmer that I rode out there with). As this year winds down, we are wanting to make it a part of our official goals for our annual reviews in 2016 to require activity… Something like publishing at least one [well-written] document and x-amount of quality posts for each programmer in our small staff (3).
Naturally, this got the wheels spinning… Trying to figure out what the latest and greatest “stuff” was that I was going to post. Some of it pertains about 0% to my actual job duties, but were items I played around with at home for fun. And I’m guessing that if I found it moderately interesting, there are others who might find it interesting as well. Someone might even be able to put some of it to use and/or provide suggestions for cool side projects! And ultimately with anything I post, I hope to gain some constructive criticism of my work and use this area as a way to learn more from some of the great minds here. Below are a few of the topics that I will probably write on:
- Reading media file MetaData via API’s (pretty basic, but it’ll provide a great central location for reference documentation… aka “cheat sheet”)
- Interfacing with SAP-ERP via OLE (it’s owned by SAP, so may as well)
- Printing to Zebra printers via PB (because ZPL is fun!)
- Interfacing with Phidgets in PB (who doesn’t love a little I/O in their life?)
- Basic use of ActiveX mapping controls (great Google Maps alternative)
- General cheat sheets that I’ve been sitting on for some time now
As always, any suggestions/input/feedback is/will be appreciated. If any of the above topics are something you want more information on and/or want to collaborate on, just let me know.