HANA SPS/SP Revision Update
as HANA Administrator, we all know that updating HANA revision is a pretty straightforward. However, to ensure updated HANA DB works perfectly with its additional components, product specific plug in and etc (eg: HANA Live, LCAPPS, SDA, LUMIRA and etc) is different story, since more and more additional components/plugin were introduced in latest and newest HANA SPS/SP.
Therefore, to ensure a successful HANA DB SPS/SP update and reduce the chances of plugin/addon break after update, is worthwhile for us to spare some time and checking below point before updating:
1) Ensure a successful HDB backup before update
*also, it is advisable to backup folder /hana/shared/SID/global/hdb/custom/config , example in the case when upgrade to rev93 above will switch on ESS by default.
You don’t need to backup /hana/shared/SID/exe/linuxx86_64 as the old binary will be backup by hdblcm and named it as hdb_old
2) Always read thru the HANA DB version note that you wish to update carefully.
Pay attention to the requirement, eg: OS library such as glib and etc.
If you are on maintenance version, ensure direct update the desired version is supported.
3) Check is there any Installed Plugin
If yes, do ensure plugin version is compatible with upgrade HANA DB version. For every one of these Support Packages, there is precisely one compatible SAP HANA database Support Package. Example: Revision 80 of SAL AFL may only be used with Revision 80 of the SAP HANA database. Any other combination is not supported.
Therefore, always check the availability and compatibility for any product specific plugin installed.
Example of Plugin:
- SAP HANA AFL (Misc)
- SAP POS AFL FOR HANA
- SAP SAL AFL FOR HANA (Self Service Analytics) – Needed to run Lumira Server on HANA for rev80 to 90.
- SAP UAL AFL FOR HANA (Universal Analytics) –Replaced SAL for rev91 and higher.
- SAP SCA AFL FOR HANA
- SAP SOP AFL FOR HANA
- SAP UDF AFL FOR HANA
- SAP HANA LCAPPS
You can check installed plugin via HDB Studio -> Overview and click on
or directory – /hana/shared/SID/exe/linuxx86_64/plugins/
Example of product specific note:
4) Check is there HANA Live Installed
Ensure HANA LIVE installed is supported on upgraded HANA DB version. Otherwise, you may lose those HANA LIVE functionality. Refer to the HANA DB revision note that you wish to upgrade and check on the HANA live info. Eg;
- If you are using SAP HANA live, please check the respective release note 1778607 before you start upgrading to SPS 09.
To check which HANA Live installed, you can simply go to HANA Studio -> Modeler -> Delivery Units or via hdbalm -> http://hostname.fqdn:80XX/sap/hana/xs/lm/ -> Products
Or via below command:
select * from “_SYS_REPO”.”DELIVERY_UNITS” where delivery_unit like ‘HCO_%’
5) Check if system replication setup
To check replication status, got to HANA Studio -> Overview -> System Replication Status
6) Ensure sufficient space in /hana/* Dir
7) Once update completed on HANA Server, remember to update target HDB client for any connecting system, eg: SAP Application Instance and BO.
Please add a comment for any I am missing and I will gladly update them.
Hope it helps,