SAP Data Services 4.2 SP05 Upgrade steps
The purpose of this document is to up-grade SAP Business Objects Data Services from 11.7/3.X/4.X to SAP Data Services 4.2 SP05
Operating system: Windows Server 2008 64 Bit
Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2
Web Application: Tomcat
SAP Business Objects Tools: SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.1 SP02; SAP Data Services 4.2 SP05
Migration Tools: Data Services Repository Manager
Repository version: BODI 11.7 or BODS 3.X or BODS 4.X
Installation & Configuration steps to upgrade SAP BODS 3.X/4.X to SAP BODS 4.2 SP05:
Pre Installation Check List:
- Backup of repositories, configuration files & Data Cleanse files:
- Create a Check list of Number of Batch Jobs/Real Time Jobs, Number of Access Server, Number of Job Server & Configuration Path (Datastore) of Source & Target Systems
- Create a Check list of Jobs Scheduling in SAP Business Objects Data Services Management Console
- Create a Check list of Groups & Users Available in SAP Business Objects Data Services Management Console
- Backup of Local, Profile & Central Repository
- Backup of Following Configuration Files:
- Backup of Data Cleanse Files
Post Installation Check List:
- Installation of EIM(Enterprise Information Management) or IPS(Information Platform Services) Package in New Landscape
- Installation of SAP BODS 4.2 SP05
- Installation & Configuration of Address Cleansing Package 4.2
- Best Practices says use the same Data base that you have use in SAP BODS 4.x make a cloned copy and Use in SAP BODS 4.2 SP05 environment
- Up-gradation of Local /Central repository Using Data Services Repository Manager
- Configuration of Repository in EIM or IPS (Package Name) Central management Console.
- Configuration of SAP RFC in Data Services Management Console 4.2 SP05
- Configuration of Adapters in Data Services Management Console 4.2 SP05
- Apply Rights & Security according to your requirement in BIM or IPS (Package Name) Central management Console
- Now Login in SAP BODS Designer 4.2 SP05 and configure Jobs (Real Time/Batch Jobs)
- Configuration of Datastore (SAPR3,SAP BW, RDBMS), Substitution Parameters, Job Server, Access Server, Format Data Type (Flat Files, CSV)
- Now validate the Jobs at Top Level and if error comes fix those errors
- Now Execute the Jobs using Scheduler or other BI Tools
SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.x SPxx Installation & Configuration Documents:
Product Infrastructure Dependency:
Data Services (DS) requires SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) or Information Platform Services (IPS) for security capability. The table below shows the BI/IPS version and the corresponding compatible version of Data Services.
For more information on the compatibility of Data Services with BI platform or IPS versions, and compatible patch information, please see SAP Note
1740516 – SAP Data Services 4.x and SAP Information Steward 4.x compatibility with SAP Business Intelligence platform and Information Platform Services for active releases
1842698 – SAP Data Services 4.2 Upgrade Scenarios
Supported Platform Link:
Validation of Current Environment before and after application upgrade:
For Validation of Jobs, Access Server, Adapter & Web Services I am using script to populate the data in text file, Please refer the o/p for your reference.
Count of Local Repository
Count of Secure Central Repository
Count of Job Server
Count of Access Server
Count of Batch Job
Count of Real Time Job
Count of Adapter
Count of Web Services
Count of Repository: Currently I have 1 “Local & 1 “Secure Central repository” highlighted in Yellow color
* For validation you can also use “Local repository” metadata for above details. Here I used BATCH script to check all above parameter in my current systems, Please refer the below screenshot for your reference.
Count of Job Server:
Count of Access Server:
Count of Batch Job:
Count of Real Time Job:
*Same details you can get from batch script for Adapter & Web Services.
Up gradation & Configuration Documents of Data Services 4.2 SP:
When the prerequisite system check completes successfully, click Next
On the “SAP BusinessObjects Data Services 4.2 SP05 setup” page, click Next.
Accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
Click Next to accept the default path to the folder where the program will be installed.
Click Next to accept the default language (English).
Type a password for the CMS Administrator account, and click Next.
Click Yes to restart the BOIPS services
To start the installation, click Next.
Installation is in progress
SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.2 SP5 Configuration Documents:
Before upgrade of local repository below are the error in SAP Business Objects Data Services Designer
So before login upgrade the repository using SAP Business Objects Repository manager below are the steps for upgrade of local repository details:
Below are the steps for upgrade of local repository & upgrade of secure central repository
Upgrade of Local Repository using SAP Data Services Repository manager:
Open SAP Data Services repository manager and check the version before migrating, You can also check in repository metadata through SQL
And after validating click on upgrade tab
Upgrade of Secure Central Repository:
Do the same validation for Secure central repository
And after validating click on upgrade tab
Then Login to Central Management Console -> Go to Data Services
Then Click on Data Services and check the repository version details.
Now try to login in SAP Business Objects Data Services Designer with SAP Business Objects Credential
Click on Logon and Click on “ok”
Now login in SAP Business Objects Data Services management console
Click on “Administrator” tab
New features are added in “SAP Business Objects Data Services management console 4.2″:
- Object Promotion:
- Import Configuration
- Export Configuration
- Export Configuration using two ways:
- Shared Directory
- Substitution Parameter: Now we can change the “Substitution Parameter” settings through SAP Business Objects Data Services Management console also.
- New Features added in Adapter like “Hive Adapter & VCF Adapter”
- Changes in “Query and Validation” transform in SAP Business Objects Data Services Designer 4.2
- New Features added like “REST web services”: Representational State Transfer (REST or RESTful) web service is a design pattern for the World Wide Web. Data Services now allows you to call the REST server and then browse through and use the data the server returns
- Changes in “Architecture” of SAP Business Objects Data Services please refer below upgrade guide for more details.
After Installation & Up-gradation SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.2SP05 below are the status that i upgraded in VM Ware
Then again upgrade from 3.x to 4.x
These enhancements were successfully implemented in the following systems:
- SAP Business Objects Information Platform Services 4.1 SP02/SAP Business Objects Enterprise Information Management 4.1 SP02
- SAP Business Objects Data Services 4.1 SP05
This document is relevant for:
- SAP Business Objects Data Services Administrator
This blog does not cover:
- SAP Business Objects Data Quality Management Up-Gradation
Installation Guide Windows:
Installation Guide UNIX:
SAP Data Services 4.2:
SAP Data Services 4.2 Product Availability Matrix:
SAP Data Services Blueprints (Sample ATL Files of BODS 4.x)
Data Services Product Tutorials:
1388363 – Where can I download Data Services software, support packages, and patches?
1263925 – Are Data Quality blueprints available? – Data Services
1530081 – Troubleshooting tips for SAP Data Services 4.x
1723342 – Data Services 4.1 Upgrade Scenarios
1725915 – Release Notes for SAP Data Services 4.1 (14.1.0) Ramp-Up
1740516 – SAP Data Services 4.x and SAP Information Steward 4.x compatibility with SAP Business Intelligence platform and Information Version
1900051 – SAP Data Services 4.x and SAP Information Steward 4.x compatibility with SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform and Information platform services for inactive releases.
1694041 – BI 4.0 Consulting:- How to size the Adaptive Processing Server
1881527 – BODS adapter issues
1769406 – Best Practices on taking a Hot Backup for a SAP BI 4.0 deployment
746938 – How to backup or restore a Data Services 4.0 cleansing package.
DS4.1 – Address Cleansing using Global Address Cleanse transform
1645932 – How to setup SSL certificates in a Distributed Environment – Data Services XI 4.0
1416303 – Can’t reach Job Server from DS Designer
Good job Daya. Very informative !
Very good document again by Dr Daya. 🙂
Nice Documentation, Very Clear and Crisp!
Does it support MS Sql server 2008?
you didnot use the dsconfig file during the installation of BODS.
in the upgrade guide I see that during the installation we need to specify the location of the dsconfig file. Could you please clarify
You can take the backup because while doing installation by default that path is selected because after upgrade it will not create new DSCONFIG.txt file, better to take a backup and then start upgrade.
Once upgrade is done you can validate with backup and updated one as well.
We have BO4.1Sp2 &DS4.2Sp1 in the existing prod server.
we now want to do a fresh install of IPS 4.1Sp6 & BODS4.2SP5 on a new server. Just took the clone of the existing DS repo.
So can i just ignore this dsconfig file and do the BODS installation?
Then upgrade & assign repositories?
Step-by-step detailed explanation. Wonderful job!