4.1 SP5 Promotion Manager Constant Issues
The Promotion Manager tool does not bring instances and the UMT refuses to move content from one 4.x system to another. I am currently testing this on BI 4.1 SP5 Patch 5.
Can anyone suggest a better way to to move content from 4.1 SP1 to our test box with 4.1 SP5 Patch 5?
We have Over 100,000 reports and need to move several thousand for testing. Why? Because updates to BOE often fail with critical issues, so we can’t apply it to our system and hope it works.
I read in a separate post that SAP will eventually create a thick client for customers who need to move larger amounts of content. I already tried the UMT on this SP5 and it refuses. Does anyone know if and when this new thick client might be coming?
CONSTANT ISSUES INCLUDE:
– Fails most of the time
– Some failures only say “Failure” go look at the logs. How about a clue for us inside PM?
– One error on a connection said this, “Relationship would not be a tree after update so bailing”. I guess bailing is a strategy for this poorly designed tool. It appears to me that you must bring every universe that uses that connection before it will actually bring it. That’s just plain wrong. I may not want those other universes over-writing previous work.
– Duplicate name. This and any other tool needs to allows us to overwrite ANY existing content if we so choose. Someone changed the CUID using Save-As and kept the same name. I need to replace that file — why not let me? The only solution here is to delete that content and rerun the job. With users and groups, this is at best a large nightmare.
– No instances in scheduled reports come over. In fact, even the report won’t come over if the destination report has instances. What kind of choice is that?
Most of our dashboards depend on scheduled reports, so what’s the point in not bringing the instances with that content?
What else might help?
1. It would be EXCELLENT if SAP designed an Easy Button for mirroring content to another server. It would have to ensure nothing points back to the source system and create new cluster keys. We have tried this manually, it wasn’t fun and still has artifacts of the original system.
2. If they are working on a tool to move larger amounts of content, it would be SPLENDID if they also made a way to mirror the security across all folders without having to move all content and all users at the same time. We could move the Groups in batches, then hit the easy button and it magically assigns the groups to the folders, universes, etc.