A view on the offline click-through. It gives you a way to take the application offline as ZIP (browser is required to execute). This is a blog of the series “Design Studio 1.5, View on...” – here the function “Offline Click-Through“. For more topics see Design Studio 1.5: What’s New in? A (technical) View.
The starting point.
Design Studio is an online tool, you can report on data which are read from the source system. In previous releases it was possible to export the data content into Excel, but with more complex applications the layout could not be preserved. In release 1.5 it is possible also to make PDF export directly, but also there the navigation is lost.
What is the New Function?
Offline Click-Through functionality is going the first step into offline capabilities and allows you to take the app with you. As design studio is producing HTML in the browser in dynamic way (using SAP UI5 JS library), the produced ZIP is actually containing:
- the Design Studio environment capable to produce the HTML
- the required content (files, images)
- the JS libraries requried by the framework
- a JSON control-content which defines what should the framework parse and display.
What you can do with the content?
You can download any navigation through the application, download the content and open again in any browser. You can navigate across the recorded steps, navigating back and forth. Any time you can reset also the replay to initial step.
What you canNOT do with the content?
The content is having only data information about the recorded steps, so you cannot:
- make additional steps which were not in the recording
- click on some element which was not clicked in the recording
- add additional filters and other manipulations of data source
How to take your Application Offline?
Now, short step-by-step on how to create such offline ZIP.
1. Start any application you want to use.
2. when you want to start recording, press CTRL+ALT+R
3. nothing will happen, do not worry
4. move mouse down to the bottom border of the screen, you should see a popup like this one
In this popup you can find all available functions.
* reset recording
* stop (delete)
5. navigate freely in the application and tell the story you want. There are no restrictions in this area.
6. when finished, press the download button, a ZIP will be created.
7. download the ZIP and store somewhere
Opening a Recorded ZIP
Only what you need to do is
* either open the ZIP in Windows and then you can open directly the index.html file
* or unzip in some folder and access the index.html file there
The file will be opened in your default browser.
You need to confirm the popup for active content
and then at the bottom you will see the replay popup
The functions here are:
* reset to start
* one step back
* one step forth
+ number of steps
By this example you can learn how to use the offline click through capability of Design Studio.
If something is missing or unclear, feel free to comment.