Recently when I heard about the HANA cloud platform, I was more than excited. Connecting to the cloud to develop your own application was supposed to be a cakewalk. However, I spend an entire day setting up the application on my laptop. My efforts prompted me to write this blog post to help all of you readers to connect and set up a HANA development platform easily.
Create an account on the HANA cloud platform:
1. Go to https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com/ and create an account. If you already have a SAP or SCN id, the same can be used to directly logon to the cloud platform.
2. The HANA Cockpit is displayed:
3. Go to HANA Instances and create New instances for HANA XS:
4. A trial instance has now been successfully created.
Set up the Eclipse IDE:
1. Download the Eclipse IDE from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
Ensure that you download the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
2. Unzip the file eclipse-jee-luna-SR2-win32 and run the eclipse.exe
3. Go to Help > Install new software. Enter the url SAP Development Tools for Eclipse – Luna Software Repository as shown below:
4. Select the tools from the list which will subsequently be downloaded.
Connecting to the Cloud Instance from the Eclipse IDE:
1. Go to Window > Open Perspective > Custom Perspective. The below window is displayed.
2. Select the HANA Administration console. And Add Cloud System as shown below:
3. Change the Landscape Host and add the information as shown below. Please note that the information highlighted in yellow and make changes accordingly.
4. Select the schema as shown:
5. The catalog is shown as below:
And you are all set to work with the HANA trial instance on the cloud. If you are behind a proxy, do not forget to change the proxy settings under preferences.
I hope this blog post has been useful.