I am writing my first document on SCN keeping in view that many people face this issue, while implementing FM-BCS, i.e. how to Restrict Negative Budgeting in FM-BCS. There is also a SAP Note https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/983853 on this issue, which clearly mentions that system by default allow negative budgeting, that means a user can insert negative budget on any budge-table commitment item and also it can transfer budget from Commitment Item 1 to Commitment Item 2, regardless of that reason that there is Zero budget on Commitment Item 1, losing the control over the system. Functional consultants often find it difficult to implement the solution provided in the note, so that’s, I am creating this document to help them.
We can restrict this system behaviour using Check Libraries already defined by SAP, which uses the validation function designed for budget entry documents
1. Go to Transaction Code FMCCA or IMG Path SPRO>PSM>FMG>BCS>Budgeting>Control Budgeting Flow>Consistency Check>Define Check Libraries for Budget Addresses
2. Here we will find the already created Library 0000002 and 0000003. Create the new library, which is to be used by us. In our case we are creating 0000004.
3. Now the library is created as can be seen in screenshot below. Change the name, currency and description according to your requirements. Save the data.
4. Now Go to SAP Standard Library 0000002 and drill it down, where you will find SAP Standard Rule 0000002 (BDGT NEGATIVE PER BDGT TYPE?). We will use this Rule in our steps.
5. Make a copy of the rule 0000002 of library 0000002 into your created library (in my case its 0000004 library and 0000001 rule).
6. Now head over to the created rule under your library, where we will find three tabs (Prerequisite, Check and Message). Prerequisite is where you want to make sure a prerequisite is followed before the rule is applied on the budget entry documents and the same is mainly based on FM Objects selected earlier. In our case we will have no Prerequisite and will go to the “Check” tab. Here change the key figure to “CURRENT_BDGT_AB” and keep the other values same, no change is required in them.
We can find the other key figures in detail under PSM>FMG>BCS>Budgeting>Control Budgeting Flow>Define Key Figures
7. Next step is to go to “Message Tab” where make sure you choose the Message type carefully (Short Dump, Cancel, Error, Warning, Information, Success Message) and Message Number (SAP Standard Provided). In our case, we have selected Message type as Error, so that user is unable to enter negative budget at any stage. Save it
8. Next step is to assign the library created to your FM Area. Go to IMG Path SPRPO>PSM>FMG>BCS>Budgeting>Control Budgeting Flow>Consistency Check>Assign Budget Address Check Libraries
9. Insert your relevant FM Area, Version, Fiscal year and Library created. Save it
10. Now the configuration steps are done. We can check the results in FMBB. First we are try to enter Negative budget on any single Commitment Item. In our case we have used Funds Center, Fund, Commitment Item as “Warehouse_1″,” Opex” (Operating Expenses Fund) and “War_Mat_Exp” Commitment Item respectively. Budget entered is Rs. -1.00/-
11. The system throws the Error as defined in configuration. Whereas the document will be posted successfully, if the budget amount is positive.
12. Now we want to check that whether the system throws the same error, if we transfer excess budget from one commitment item to another. By running the report FMRP_RW_BUDCON, the following figures are appearing, i.e. Rs. 40,000/- is available on “War_Mat_Exp” Commitment Item under the “Warehouse_1” Funds Centre.
13. Again go to FMBB and select the Transfer Process and insert the relevant other data.
14. We try to transfer in excess of what is available from that particular Commitment Item on that Funds Centre, i.e. we are trying to transfer Rs. 40,001/- more than its current available budget of Rs. 40,000/-
15. The system shows the same error on that excessive transfer. Whereas, again, it was posted successfully when the sender and receiver figure was changed to Rs. 40,000/- or less.
In the same way, we can create many other checks on budget entry documents as per client requirements. SAP standard has provided many other checks like that.
Feedback on the document will be appreciated