When we are doing our job as BASIS guys we need some tools like below in my exprience.
I will not give the names of the tools but I think must of us are using similar and well known tools.
You will remember when you are reading the lines through.
- At the beginning I want to give a computer characteristics that a BASIS guy must at least have to work with.
The computer of a BASIS guy must be FULL HD. Since you do alot of RDP, connect to alot of systems at the same time.
It must have at least 8 GB RAM
It must have SSD HDD.
It must not be very havy especially for consultants who are travelling alot.
You must not have a simple mouse, instead you must have multipurpose one. And wireless one.
You must have a good bag to carry this computer off course.
- Every BASIS guy must have a tool for taking notes
This tool must have ability to save words, pictures, even files together.
I must reach the whole notes with one click. Mean when I open the program I must see all notes in my program.
This tool must have ability to search through all notes even through pictures using character recognition (OCR). So that I can reach the required info even in pictures.
This tool must have quick and powerful search ability.
This tool must save automatically when I am writing, taking notes. I must not push save button all the time and must not be suspicious whether I saved orr not.
This editor must be used through cloud.
- Every BASIS guy must have a text editor for displaying logs on SAP servers
This text editor must keep more than one file open
This editor must search through all open files
This editor must open file when it is being used
This editor could open big files
This editor must be installed easiliy
This editor could be portable also
- Every BASIS guy must have a tool for keeping passwords.
This tool must have master password so that I can keep all passwords in secure place.
This tool must paste user-password with key combinations or with mouse clicks into requested fields.
This tool must be configurable so that I could paste user and password according to the program, site etc.
This tool must be used throug cloud also.
This tool must be portable.
- Every BASIS guy must have a screen capture tool
This tool must have an ability to draw lines, rectangles, circles, write notes on screenshots while you are taking screenshot.
You must be able to do this screen capturing with on of the mouse buttons
You must copy the capture to clipboard so that you could paste it wherever you want
- Every BASIS gu must have an RDP Manage program.
This tool must keep many system infos
This tool must keep passwords securely
This tool must have grouping capability of systems
This tool must be portable
- BASIS Guy must pin below programs to taskbar on an SAP Server for SIDADM user for quick access in my opinion. We always need them.
- SAP Microsoft Management Console
- DB Management Studios
- Command Prompts (cmd)
- Internet Browser
- SAP GUI (Of course not on all system. On solution manager maybe)
- For MS Windows below folders must be created in favourites
I think these are the tools that are needed at least when we are doing our job efficiently, carefully, quickly and effectively.
Can you advise us any other tools?
Looking forward to hearing your helpers?